Chapter 18

Before leaving her room Anastasia stared at herself in the mirror. She hated pinafore dresses, but knew that she had to at least try and appear lady like, and at least this one was only green and blue tartan and rather boring looking so she could go as unnoticed as possible. She placed pins in her long hair, trying her best to keep the unruly strands off her face. Running her hands over her chest and the curves of her waist she wondered why women were forced to show the outline of their figures, while men were able to simply wear shirts and trousers. On her way down the stairs she ran into the Deloran twins, Clara and Keira. They exchanged awkward but polite greetings, and Anastasia couldn't help but judge them slightly as they floated down the stairs in matching pink frilly dresses with puffy sleeves. Once they entered the drawing room Anastasia looked for Rosier, as he was the only person there she felt remotely comfortable around. She found him in the corner with Nott and Lestrange.

"How was your tour?" Rosier teased, handing her a glass of champagne.

"Have you seen how large this house is? It took all afternoon." Anastasia rolled her eyes, gaining a laugh from the boys.

"Don't worry, tomorrow we'll sneak you into the back house with us." Nott smiled.

"I wouldn't be too excited. Tom will have us working all Christmas." Lestrange moaned. Suddenly Anastasia heard a voice behind her.

"Marcus, good to see you." The man hugged Lestrange before turning towards the group. Anastasia was taken aback by his appearance. His clear cut features almost reminded her of Tom, but his eyes were different. He looked at Anastasia with an intensity like Tom's, but she didn't read it as menacing, although she admittedly couldn't read it at all.

"Marcus, aren't you going to introduce me to your friends?" The man kept his eye strictly on Anastasia.

"Elius, this is Franklin Nott, Lawrence Rosier and Anastasia Delaney." They all smiled towards him.

"Elius Lestrange, lovely to make your acquaintance." The man grinned while nodding his head, his eyes flickering into hers.

"Lestrange?" Anastasia asked.

"My older brother." Marcus smiled awkwardly as Elius threw a long arm around his brother's shoulder. He was much taller than the rest of the boys, and Anastasia got the impression the brothers had a tense relationship.

"Now I've heard your names, but Miss Delaney I don't believe my dear brother has mentioned you before." Elius smiled, tilting his head slightly.

"Well-" Suddenly she felt her friends shift, and she looked to see Tom appear next to her.

"Elius, how lovely to see you." Tom held his hands tightly behind his back, his body tense.

"Ah Mr Riddle. A pleasure as always." The pair stared at each other for a moment, before Elius returned his eyes to Anastasia.

"I was just meeting your new friend Miss Delaney here." Tom took a tiny step forward, towards Elius. Before Tom could speak a house elf entered telling everyone that dinner was ready and served.

"Miss Delaney." Elius held out his arm for Anastasia to take. She shot a confused look at Tom, who's face had tensed up so severely she thought he might explode. She awkwardly smiled and took Elius' arm, allowing him to escort her to the dining room. She knew purebloods were traditional, but she didn't expect them to act as if it was the 1800's.

The long dining table was covered in fantastic shimmering silverware with enough food to feed all of Hogwarts. Elius led her to a seat and pulled out the chair for her. She sat down, feeling more out of place than ever as she looked to see Mrs Avery in a black dress with detailed gold lace hemming. Elius sat down next to her and Clara Deloran on her other side. She looked up to see Rosier sit opposite her and flashed a thankful smile. Tom pushed past Nott to sit next to Rosier, opposite Clara, with Mrs Avery on the other side of him. Anastasia rolled her eyes, wondering why he was so set on kissing up to the woman.

"So Miss Delaney," Her attention was brought back to Elius. "you must be quite an interesting young woman." She shot him a confused look. "I mean, to be invited into a friendship groups such as Marcus'." He spoke so quietly he was almost whispering, making Anastasia wonder what he was implying.

"I would like to think I'm interesting Mr Lestange, but wouldn't we all?" The more she looked at him the more she realised how attractive he was. He was hard to read, which she found off-putting yet enticing as she prized herself as an observer.

"I suppose that is true." He laughed. "I hear you're quite the academic. Dark arts and potions I believe?"

"I'm not sure where you get your information from, but if you're asking if I enjoy my studies then yes." Their stare continued.

"No need to be modest Miss Delaney, modesty is not required in households such as this one." He grinned.

"Perhaps not Mr Lestrange, but I see no point boasting unless I believe there is a profitable outcome. I prefer to stay underestimated." Anastasia returned his smile, trying her best to analyse his goal for the conversation. However, he just laughed again.

"So I was correct, you are quite an interesting character. A woman with eyes like yours could never be dull." Anastasia felt herself blush, and in her embarrassment turned to her plate to start eating. She caught Tom's eyes on her, his angered stare cutting into her soul. Throughout dinner she felt Tom's occasional glares as she spoke to Elius, only fuelling her desire to continue the conversation. She didn't know why but she liked the effect she was having on Tom. Perhaps it was because up until this moment she hadn't been able to rise any emotion from him.

"That's when I discovered that I had been talking to a cat!" Everyone politely laughed at Clara's, very long, joke.

"See, this is why I'm glad you're here, otherwise I'd be listening to those jokes all Christmas." Elius leaned in, whispering to Anastasia, causing her to cover her mouth as she giggled.

"So that's why you sat me here then? As a a barrier?" She teased.

"Possibly, but at least I sat next to you to give you an escape. I could have sat you down and then moved to the other end of the table." Elius grinned. Anastasia looked at the other end of the table to see Keira telling the same joke to Mulciber and Avery.

"There's no escaping it I'm afraid." She subtly pointed. Elius burst out laughing, causing Rosier and Tom to quickly turn and stare at them.

'Well then, may I propose a treaty of sorts?"

"I'm listening." Anastasia smiled, raising her eyebrow.

"We try to sit next to each other at every meal and pretend we are those boring people that only discuss deep, thoughtful, hard-hitting topics so everyone will let us be? That way neither of us have to suffer." Anastasia posed thoughtfully for a second.

"Will we have to subject ourselves only to such intense conversation?"

"That's the beauty of it Miss Delaney, one must only appear to be in such a conversation, when actually we may simply enjoy one another's company. We can discuss anything you like. If I'm honest, I don't believe I'll have to act at all. You are quite a captivating creature Anastasia." His face was still leaned in close to hers, and his low humming voice made her stomach twist slightly. They stared at each other, seemingly enraptured.

"You have a deal Mr Lestrange." Anastasia didn't notice Tom clutching his fork so aggressively that he made his hand turn white.