Chapter 28

When they made it back to Hogwarts the group walked to the Slytherin dorms. Anastasia had been very quiet since new year, and it had Rosier slightly worried. He watched her walking ahead of him next to Tom. He noticed she hadn't left Tom's side for the past few days, and it made him feel uneasy. Anastasia felt Tom's arms brushing against hers with each step. The slight touches made Tom's torso stiffen slightly every time. When they reached the common room everyone headed back to their rooms, but Anastasia felt Tom pinch the palm of her hand and stayed back for a moment, getting a questioning side eye from Rosier. Anastasia went and stood by the fireplace, feeling Tom watching her silently waiting for everyone to leave. He walked over to her with his arms tightly crossed behind his back.

"Miss Delaney." Tom's voice sent a shiver down her back. The two had been inseparable since new year, but he hadn't actually spoken to her. "I believe we need to have a discussion." Anastasia nodded, her green doe-eyes widened making Tom's stomach twist slightly. "You're definitely turning out to be more interesting than the others. Mr Lestrange's facial expressions after the New Year's Eve party proved your allegiance to me, but you should know that your behaviour was not acceptable." Anastasia nodded, slowing leaning closer towards him. "I meant what I said. I don't want to see you acting so childishly again." Tom looked down at her as she moved even closer, he had to hide his increasing pulse. "Anastasia," he whispered "You belong to me, but I do not belong to you. That's how this works. I'm unable to feel such... emotions." Anastasia stood still, watching his chest rise and fall in front of her. Her eyes grew angry. 

"So, my emotions are wasted on you? Is that what you are telling me Mr Riddle?" He noticed a slight waver in her sharp tone. Tom grinned and hooked his finger under her chin. 

"Quite the opposite Miss Delaney. The reason you will be my greatest follower is because of your emotions for me. I am only telling you that they will never be reciprocated." Anastasia felt a stinging in her chest, but she refused to cry in front of him. No matter how bewitched she had become, she was still the same Slytherin girl who had fended for herself for many years. She grabbed his hand and removed his touch from her chin. 

"Why are you telling me this? You could have continued pretending, manipulated me like all the others." Tom's stare hardened, but his grin never faded. This was the type of response he had hoped for. She didn't storm out crying or beg like others girls had when he'd refused their affections. 

"Because I believe you could be very important to my success Miss Delaney, and I see the same aspirations in you that I used to in myself, so I know that you'll do whatever it takes even if that means serving the man you love knowing he will never love you back. You'll do it because I'm the only way you'll ever become anything in this world." Tom turned and left, leaving her speechless once again. Anastasia sat on the sofa, her breathing getting more and more heavy. Her head was filled with alarm bells and her chest hurt. It's one thing admitting that he has no feelings for her, but to then say she wasn't allowed to even flirt with others. Mrs Avery's words rattled in her ears. She had warned her, and Anastasia didn't listen. Elius had liked her, he was a bit old for her but he was handsome and charming. But as quickly as these thoughts came they were overtaken by Tom's words. He had said she would be his greatest follower, that she was going to be important to him. Even though her heart was breaking, she felt a strange sense of pride that she was achieving what she ad originally set out for. Anastasia stood up and went up to her dorm, still trying to decide about how she felt. When she entered she immediately noticed an envelope sitting neatly on her bed. She dropped her bags and went over to open it. She immediately looked to see who it was from. She gasped slightly, making the other sleeping girls mumble in their beds. She immediately got under the covers.

"Lumos." She whispered.

--

Dear Miss Delaney,

I do hope your travels back to Hogwarts were safe and pleasant. I apologise for leaving without saying goodbye last night, it was rather out of character. I am writing as I find myself in a predicament with which I could use your advice, as one of the brightest witches of your age.

A friend of mine has got into a rather embarrassing situation where he appears to have become infatuated with a charming young witch. He felt as if they had a rare connection, and believed at moments his feelings were reciprocated. However, he fears her heart has been taken by another already, leaving him without a chance. He now wonders whether to contact her, as he desperately wishes to know whether she feels the same as he does, but does not want to appear like a crazed stalker. She is the type of young lady that would accumulate such affections from men with her wit and beauty, so he tells me.

What do you think he should do Miss Delaney? Your advice will be most appreciated.

Cordially,

Elius Lestrange

--

Anastasia held the letter close to her chest. He heart had been taken, deep down she knew that. Her body, however, had been set alight. After her kiss with Tom it's all she could think about. Tom had just told her that he was never going to fill that void. Anastasia quickly grabbed a pen and paper, trying not to think about the effects of her actions. She was always going to pick Tom, but she had desires that needed to be quenched. What she did privately without Tom knowing couldn't hurt her.