Chapter 34

-

Anastasia,

I can't say it doesn't worry me that you're going to be spending the Summer with Mr. Riddle and my brother. I know you don't wish for my opinion, so all I ask is that you keep yourself safe. Maybe it would be possible for you to sneak away and we can see each other again? In hopes that you can I've sent you something. I've also acquired one for myself so we can finally have that competition we discussed.

I do hope we can arrange something. I think of you always, wishing we were back in the garden at Avery Manor. I've kept to your rules and not spoken of our communication to anyone, but I long for the day I can call you mine. I imagine introducing you to my friends, and smiling proudly as we leave early from dinners to avoid the boring conversations and petty formalities. I picture our home far away from my family filled with your books and a bed we never want to leave.

Tell me you'll try.

Yours,

Elius

-

Anastasia opened the package on her bed, pulling out a rather skimpy maid's outfit. She gasped before bursting out laughing. The idea of Elius' tall wide frame in the same outfit made her giggle furiously, but as she ran her fingers over the frills she also felt a shift in her underwear as she imagined wearing it for him. She smiled before burning the letter and turning to look at her packed bags, wondering what this summer holiday would bring. As always Tom hadn't told her anything. She wasn't sure if she wanted to see Elius, she was enjoying their letters but the idea of Tom finding out struck fear into her bones. However, the feelings she had looking at the outfit made her wonder if the risk was worth it. She packed it just in case.

As the group boarded to Hogwarts Express, Anastasia looked up to see Rosier walking towards them. She was about to run up to him when she felt a strong hand on her shoulder push her into the train.

"Don't" Tom's stern voice struck her ears. As they took their seats around the table Rosier slowly approached. He sat down opposite Anastasia silently, and looked out the window. She felt Tom place himself next to her, pushing her against the side the train. A clear tension arose within the group, and the rest of the boys sat obediently not looking at Rosier. Anastasia once again felt out of the loop.

"How are you feeling?" She whispered leaning towards Rosier. He turned to look at her briefly before returning his eyes to the window. "I-" Before she could continue Tom had placed a firm grip on her thigh, a clear indication to stop. She nearly smacked his hand, but remembered that she was still in trouble for the way she had spoken to him after they had opened the chamber, and realised she had better wait to talk to Rosier alone. She watched his drained face opposite her and felt her heart sink at the idea that she had been a part of hurting the only person who seemed to really care about her.

In London the group changed platforms and Anastasia realised they were going south to Dorset. After a number of changes and long train rides they arrived in Corfe. A weary looking woman picked the group up and greeted Mulciber. As the battered car trundled along country lanes Anastasia admired the hilly coast and farmlands. They turned off down a bumpy road and in the distance Anastasia saw a large pale-stone castle.

"Jesus." She muttered under her breath, earning a condescending smirk from Tom. As the car pulled up in front of the large house they were met by a collection of elves and other staff. A gaunt looking man stood atop the steps in a black coat far too large for his slender figure.

"Father" Mulciber nodded walking up to shake his hand. He introduced the rest of them as the old man stood still and silent. He opened the door and walked in, disappearing immediately into a room.

"Now I see where you get it from." Nott smirked towards Mulciber who scoffed before leading them all up to their rooms. Anastasia looked around at the crumbling mansion, following the lines of vines that had crept through the old stone and spread across the ceilings and walls.

"Is that the sea?" Anastasia asked without thinking, hearing a gentle swooshing sound fill the house.

"Yes! Let me show you." She saw Mulciber smile for the first time since she had known him as he led her back down the stairs. They walked through the large foyer into the kitchen and out through the back of the house. As he opened the old wooden door Anastasia's eyes widened at the scenery in front of her. The wide, wild fields led straight to a thick blue line of sea.

"Just on the other side of these fields. It's a tiny beach, but because of the surrounding cliffs no one else goes there." Mulciber seemed calm looking out over the land that had raised him. Anastasia turned to him with a large grin.

"Race you there?" Mulciber looked so different in this environment, and before she knew it he was off running through the overgrown grass. Anastasia set off soon followed by Avery and Nott. Rosier and Tom walked sensibly behind them. They laughed as they tried to push each other over and over-take Mulciber who was rather ahead. They all roared hysterically despite the thick grass stinging their legs as they rushed through. Anastasia reached the sand banks with Nott after Mulciber and Avery and they all rapidly took off their shoes to slide down onto the white sand. Without a thought they all headed straight into the water with their clothes on and began wading in knee-deep, splashing each other in fits of laughter. Anastasia tilted her head up towards the heat of the sun as her dress slowly soaked in the salty water. She turned to see Tom and Rosier talking on the sandbanks and caught the pair turn to stare at her. She caught Tom's peering eye and smiled. A sudden splash of water cooled her forehead as she turned to see Nott laughing. Anastasia felt nothing could ruin this moment of pure childish freedom. No matter what the rest of Summer had to come, this bliss could fuel her forever.