Chapter 37

Anastasia got dressed for dinner, feeling strangely nervous to meet Harry's godfather. She obviously knew of his parents, so presumed that his godfather meant a great deal to him. Hermione watched Anastasia look through her suitcase and felt herself smile.

"I always overpack, so if you need anything to wear I have plenty of stuff you can borrow." Anastasia looked up and grinned.

"I've never been very good at knowing what to wear." She sighed. Hermione looked at her with sympathy noticing Anastasia had laid out two floor-length dresses.

"The Weasley's aren't the type of family to really dress up for dinner. But, that doesn't mean we can't look nice for certain people we want to impress." Hermione grinned, shooting Anastasia a cheeky wink. The girl turned to her bag to pull out a pair of black jeans and a blue tank top. Anastasia nodded towards the jeans, but awkwardly shook her head to the top. Hermione nodded in understanding and then pulled out a plain grey t-shirt. Anastasia took the items and put them on, finding the jeans incredibly fitted which she was not used to at all. She looked in the mirror and found the full outline of her legs on show. She turned to see how the trousers clearly displayed the size of her bum.

"They look far better on you than they do me." Hermione laughed making Anastasia blush.

As the girls asked downstairs Anastasia saw people she didn't recognise. Two older men walked towards the girls. As they both hugged Ginny and Hermione a redheaded man came up from behind Anastasia and shook her hand.

"Anastasia, lovely to meet you I'm Arthur Weasley." She greeted him politely before turning around to see the two other men now standing in front of her.

"You must be Harry's friend Anastasia!" The dark haired man announced. Anastasia nodded nervously. Both the men smiled.

"Lovely to meet you dear." The dark haired man pulled her in tightly for a hug. "Sirius Black, I'm Harry's godfather. He's told me all about you. He forgot to mention how pretty you are, however." Anastasia's eyes widened before she was saved by the other man.

"Sirius, don't embarrass the poor girl. I'm Remus, it's a pleasure to meet you." She smiled politely at the pair, once again feeling a warm feeling of welcomeness by people she had never met.

Harry walked over and brought her a glass of cherry wine, which she took gladly. Sirius wrapped his arm around Harry proudly.

"So tell me Anastasia won't your parents miss you over Christmas?" Anastasia took a large sip of wine as Harry shot her a worried, apologetic look.

"No, um... no they died when I was younger." Sirius' smile faded and he looked down at the floor for a moment.

"I see." He whispered, looking back at her sympathetically. "A monstrous thing both you and Harry know all too well. The good are always taken too soon." Anastasia smiled at the man's empathy, and looked at Harry as he admired the man he had come to know as his supportive adult figure.

"I'm afraid you do Harry's parents the dishonour of comparing the two. I've only heard wonderful things about his parents." She smiled towards Harry. "However, mine were not so..." She struggled to find the words. She had hardly known her mother but from stories knew that she had not really planned on having a child, and while her father was not an evil man he was definitely not a good father. "Good is not a thing they were often described as." Harry reached out and held Anastasia's hand, making her tense up slightly. She was not used to such a public display of affection, but she noticed Sirius smile at the action and felt her muscles relax slightly.

"It doesn't matter who they were dear girl, it all hurts just the same." Sirius patted her on the shoulder and turned to leave, giving Harry a quick smile as he left.

"Sorry, he didn't know-"

"Don't be silly Harry. He's lovely. You clearly mean a lot to him." Harry smiled and moved closer to her.

"He was my father's best friend. Despite all he's been through he's always here for me." He watched Anastasia smile, and realised how lonely she must feel. The only person she had said that made her feel important was the boy Tom that she had lost. He turned her to face the room filled with the kindest people he had ever known. 

"You can be a part of this Anastasia." He whispered into her ear, slowly wrapping an arm around the small of her back. "A family can be chosen, you only have to let them love you." She turned to look at him. The word love had become so confusing to her. She had persuaded herself that love was a weakness that destroyed ambition, a person should only take what they need or desire. But, as she watched the way they all embraced one another, how they all loved Harry purely she wondered if she could allow herself to forget her past and move on, maybe this was the boat she had so desperately looked for that day on the beach with Tom. A chance to be everything she had once despised, a witch who simply tried to enjoy her life without complication.

As they sat down for dinner she was seated in between Remus and Bill Weasley, who had arrived just before the food was served.

"So Harry tells me you are quite a talented young witch." Anastasia shot a look to Harry opposite her, who turned away pretending not to hear.

"Only in certain subjects." Anastasia smiled, earning a small laugh from Remus who indicated for her to expand on her statement.

"Potions and Defence against the Dark Arts are my favourites." Bill had now become interested in the discussion and they both nodded in agreement.

"Good choices." Bill smiled. 

As the dinner continued she got on swimmingly with the company. She couldn't help but laugh at the difference between her Christmas at the Avery's and the company she now found herself in. They drank and laughed at stories about the older generation's stories of Hogwarts, and Anastasia found herself unable to stop taking glances at the boy opposite her. He really was so different here compared to how tense he had been at school. Once again she found herself in a moment she believed would fuel her forever, no matter what happened she was content in that moment, surrounded by more kindness than she had never known. She felt Harry place his foot next to hers under the table. He rubbed his ankle against hers gently making her giggle under breath. She looked across to see him mouth to meet her outside after dinner, to which she immediately nodded yes. Without either realising, Sirius watched the interaction with a smile and shot a look to Remus who also grinned in a moment of content that Harry finally seemed to be acting his age.

--

Author note: I know Sirius is meant to be dead by this point, but I love him and Harry's relationship too much so just had to include him! please forgive me !! Also thank you to those who made it this far! I know it's getting rather long - this is just such a great form of procrastination!