Chapter 21

Anastasia weaved through the bookshelves trying to find her way back to Harry's section of the library. As she walked she started to have second thoughts about trusting him, he asked too many questions for her liking. She turned to see him sitting in the same spot where she had tripped over him before.

"Anastasia!" He exclaimed as he got to his feet. "Hi, sorry I was just..."

"Don't worry you don't need to get up!" She responded, but by that time he was already on his feet. They smiled at each other awkwardly, both slightly unsure how to start.

"Well, um... why don't you start by explaining what you're looking for?" Harry seemed slightly nervous, almost jittery.

"Right. Um, so well I really am looking for something related to time travel." Anastasia tried to think of a way to explain it. "But not a time turner, I'm looking for something a bit more... permanent." Harry's eyes widened slightly. He leaned in towards her.

"Are you saying you want to travel through time and not return?" He whispered, looking concerned.

"Well, I mean... well yes." Anastasia sighed, trying to analyse his expressions as he digested her words. She was suddenly filled with regret.

"Anastasia, why on earth would you want to do that?"

"It's complicated." She felt herself panicking. She hardly knew this boy. Just because he reminded her of Tom did not make him trustworthy.

"You're going to have to give me more than that Anastasia, come on-"

"No you won't understand." Anastasia took a deep breath. She felt all of her pent-up emotions rising. Just admitting that was like turning on a tap. "I've lost everything Harry, everyone. I need to go back and make things right." Anastasia slumped herself against the bookshelf and slid down onto the floor. Harry slowly lowered himself next to her.

"What about your family, your friends?"

"I don't have any." Anastasia laughed. "I never have. I've only ever had one person." Harry nodded slowly.

"Who is he?" Anastasia turned to look at him. His eyes looked as deep as an ocean.

"He's the only person who..." Anastasia paused, wondering how she could describe her relationship with Tom. "accepted me." She looked down to the floor. "He saw potential in me that no one else ever recognised."

"People here do." Harry said sincerely, but Anastasia just laughed. "No, really. You're new and already at the top of nearly all your classes, you-"

"Harry." They stared at one another. "I'm nothing without him." She whispered, wiping away a tear forming in the corner of her eye. She inhaled deeply and picked herself up to her feet. "So, are you going to help me?" Harry looked up to see Anastasia holding out her hand to help him up. As he slowly rose to his feet their hands stayed intertwined and he leaned in closer to her.

"Anastasia I know what it is like to lose people, trust me. Going back doesn't solve anything, you are who you are because of it. Life has to keep moving on." Anastasia felt the warmth exuding from his body. She appreciated his words, and realised how unfair it was to claim he wouldn't understand. She nodded her head and went to turn away, feeling defeated, but Harry kept his grip on her hand.

"I don't know if what you're looking for exists, but I'll help you try." Anastasia couldn't believe it. She threw her arms around him in a sudden moment of relief and euphoria. She clung to him tightly as he gently wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I do have a favour to ask in return though." Harry whispered into her hair. Anastasia pulled back and raised an eyebrow, still smiling. "Can we start sitting together in Potions?" Anastasia took a step back. This sounded awfully familiar. "It's just Slughorn seems to have taken quite a liking to you, and let's just say I need him to... trust me." Anastasia's smile fell away from her face as she stared at the boy, gobsmacked. "It doesn't have to be anything serious or... I just need to get some information from him and we're both his favourite students. Slughorn loves collecting the best wizards and witches, but-"

"But there's nothing he loves more than a powerful couple..." Anastasia whispered. Harry stared at her.

"Yeah..." He took a step back. "I didn't mean we would have to pretend to be a couple necessarily, just if he thinks we're close then I think he'll let his guard down a bit, but I completely understand if this-"

"No it's fine." Anastasia felt winded. Her mind was racing. How could this be happening for a second time? "I'll sit next to you." Harry smiled, and as much as she wanted to smile back her face was frozen.

"Ok, great!" Harry slowly leaned in for another hug. Anastasia at first didn't move, but feeling his touch around her waist again she felt her body naturally leaning into him. It was as if she was back in her fifth year all over again.