Chapter 41

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Anastasia sat in Ron's room discussing Slughorn and how to get him to reveal what information he had given Voldemort while he was a student. Hermione asked Harry about his potions text book.

"I don't think it's related to Voldemort, but who knows? I asked Lupin last night whether my father ever referred to himself as the Half Blood Prince, but he said he'd never heard of it before." Anastasia placed a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.

"So, do we have any idea what Voldemort was looking for?" Anastasia asked.

"Well, I know it was about a bit of magic he read about in the restricted section." Harry started.

"Which really narrows it down." Ron huffed, making Hermione roll her eyes.

"Well he likes me." Ava smiled. "We'll get him to trust you again Harry." Anastasia could feel Hermione's cautious stare but decided to ignore it. 

"How does Dumbledore know that the information Voldemort was looking for wasn't something we've already found out? I mean he could have been asking about the Chamber of Secrets for all we know. Then all of this effort would be for nothing?" Anastasia eyes widened at Ron's words. She clenched her throat tight to stop herself from gasping. First Slughorn, now the Chamber of Secrets, even she couldn't keep pretending there wasn't a connection. 

"Chamber of Secrets?" She muttered, her dry throat causing her voice to come out weak and croaky.

"Yeah, it's this hidden chamber at Hogwarts-" Harry begun, before suddenly being interrupted by Anastasia's higher than usual pitch.

"No, I know what it is." She blinked, trying to control her nerves. "I mean I've read about it, but what does it have to do with anything?" Harry turned towards her.

"Voldemort lured us in there, he wanted to use the basilisk to kill me. He'd used a diary to create-" Suddenly the door swung open and two large figures entered the room.

"Oh Jesus!" George exclaimed.

"Did we just stumble into some weird foursome shit?" Fred's laugh boomed through the timber.

"Bloody hell Fred, piss off." Ron muttered.

"I think we did Freddie. Unlucky for you lot it's Quidditch time so you're going to have to put your little party on pause." Ron and Harry shot up like rockets, laughing as they ran off to change.

"What-"

"Just let them go." Hermione laughed, helping Anastasia to her feet. The girls walked down the stairs, and Hermione immediately ran into the kitchen to help Molly. Anastasia stood awkwardly for a moment, unsure what to do as she watched Ron's mother and Hermione interact so affectionately with one another. Suddenly she felt a hand placed on her shoulder.

"Sorry I didn't mean to make you jump." Sirius smiled, opening up his arm to lead Anastasia out of the house. "I thought we might watch the game together. We could get to know one another better." Anastasia smiled, feeling her forehead dampen with nervousness. As they took their seats on the grass they watched the boys running out, Ginny shouting at Fred for pushing her over. Sirius pulled out a blanket it and wrapped it around her.

"Rather marvellous family the Weasley's. I've never understood how they managed it." Sirius smiled.

"I was worried when I found out Ron was a pureblood. Thought I'd be in for another Christmas of dinner parties and formal wear." Anastasia smiled, making Sirius chuckle.

"People always find a way to surprise, don't they." Sirius watched the girl's eyes follow Harry as he soared into the air, analysing the faint upwards curl of her lips.

"Harry tells me you're new to Hogwarts? How are you finding it?" 

"It's been fine. I've learnt a lot." She decided to keep her responses short and sweet, in fear she would say something wrong. Sirius nodded, still watching her intensely.

"Must have been hard for you going to there after everything?" She snapped her face towards him. "Harry told me you're related to Anastasia Delaney?" Anastasia swallowed hard, wondering why Harry was still talking about the subject to others. This man was older, what if he knew more than Harry did?

"I mean it was a long time ago..."

"Yes, but surely you're family told you about who she was, and the people she was involved with?" 

For the first time she heard some form of proof that someone knew who Tom was. He had to be meaning Tom. Anastasia felt a strange sense of relief. The relief came with fear and horror at the concept that this man was practically directly referring to Tom, but relief all the same. It was the first time she was faced with the fact that she was going to have to address who she had been. Anastasia looked back at Harry swooping and swerving in the air, her nose filled with the flowery scent of the fresh air, her ears listening to the cheers of those around her. 

"It was a different time." She turned back to Sirius. "I know many things about Anastasia Delaney; I've heard all the rumours about who she was, what she was and what happened to her, and all I can say is... I'm not going to make the same mistakes that she did. I'm not her." Sirius nodded, an assuring smile growing on his lips.

Author's note:

I'm so sorry this has taken so long! Got a bit distracted, but I'm back and excited to finish the story! Thanks to all who've stuck with it! <3 <3