Chapter 23

The more Anastasia sat next to Harry in Potions the more she felt people staring at her. Before she had just been the new girl, but now she was the new girl that was friends with Harry Potter, which felt oddly similar to being friends with Tom. Some people hated him, some people idolised him and some didn't have an opinion but couldn't stop themselves from watching. He was quiet, like Tom, but he was kind. He also had a lot more of a problem hiding his emotions. One time Anastasia had accidentally placed her hand on his as they both reached for a flask and Harry got so flustered he couldn't look at her for the rest of the class. Just like before, she could see Professor Slughorn fawning more and more over the pair's friendship, which made Anastasia feel in a constant state of deja vu. After a class Anastasia walked out to find Daphne waiting for her. The girls linked arms and began walking back to their dorm.

"So are you ever going to disclose how the chosen one is in bed or do I have to keep wondering?" Daphne winked.

"What are you talking about?" Anastasia felt her cheeks grow warm.

"Are you and Harry not a thing?"

"No! We're just friends..." Anastasia mumbled unconvincingly. "Why? Are people saying that we're together?"

"No. It's just you two sit together a lot and Harry hardly ever seemed to notice girls but since you've arrived he hasn't been able to take his eyes off you." Daphne had a proud smile on her face, and raised her eyebrows suggestively. "Plus, I've noticed you give him a look or two." She giggled.

"It's nothing, he just reminds me of someone." Anastasia sighed reluctantly. Daphne's expression faded slightly.

"Of your ex?" Anastasia was caught off-guard by this terminology. She struggled to define her and Tom's relationship anyway, let alone consider it to be over completely.

"Yeah. They have similar... qualities." Daphne nodded considerately.

"You know if you ever want to talk about him..." Anastasia smiled at her new friend, appreciating the gesture. She wished she could tell her all about him, which made her hate the fact she couldn't. She knew Daphne would judge her. How could she explain falling in love with someone Tom without sounding like an idiot? Just before they reached the entrance to the Slytherin common room Anastasia heard Harry's voice calling out her name behind her.

"Harry? What are you-"

"Can we talk?" The boy said puffing as he slowed his legs down from running to stop in front of her. Daphne shot Anastasia a sly smile before leaving her side.

"Yes of course, what's happened?" Harry indicated for her to follow him down the hall and into a classroom.

"Ana I think I've found something that could help you." Anastasia felt her heart leap out of her chest. "Before you get too excited, this is just a start I don't have a solution." Anastasia nodded eagerly. "But, I've asked around and apparently there are some known enchanted objects that can be used for time-travel. So it is possible!" Harry smiled wide. Anastasia kept nodding her head, asking him to continue. Harry's smile lessened and he looked at her curiously. "Well, that's what I wanted to tell you? I've discovered it is possible!" Anastasia's body slumped.

"Jesus Harry, I thought you had really found something! I know it's bloody possible!" Anastasia rubbed her hands over her forehead, trying to calm her body from the unnecessary excitement.

"How, exactly, did you already know it was possible?" Harry whispered. Anastasia quickly removed her hands from her face to look up at him. She felt that all too familiar panic rise up.

"Because I had already figured that out... I wouldn't be looking for something I didn't think was possible Harry." She stuttered back to his confused expression. Harry reached out his hands and gently grasped her fingers. The contact of their skin sent her senses aflame. She was filled with this sudden urge to be close to him.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"No, it's ok." She took a step closer to him. "The fact that you're even trying is..." Her words failed her. As they stared at each other Harry felt a connection that both enticed and scared him.

"Anastasia, I'll be honest I don't want to help you because... because I don't want you to leave. But if it's what you want I'll do the best I can." The cotton of their jumpers was touching as the pair moved closer and closer together. He felt he had found a kindred spirit, another tormented soul that could possibly understand him. She had never met anyone like him, a person who wanted to help her despite his personal feelings.

"Harry- "

"You're not nothing without him Anastasia." Harry whispered down at her, his breath warming her nose. "You're something here. You're someone..." Anastasia felt his hands let go of hers and land gently on her cheeks, sending a bolt of electricity through her spine.