Chapter 20

After breakfast Tom gathered the group and they headed out the back of the manor. The ice had yet to melt from the morning sun, and Anastasia held onto Rosier's arm trying not to slip. As they entered the cottage at the other end of the garden Anastasia shot a look at Rosier.

"This is bigger than the house I grew up in." She whispered, making him snort. Avery lit the fire and the group sat around the long dining room table. The cottage was old so the air was crisp, but as she sat down she felt more at ease knowing it was just them.

"Right we are going to get straight into this. I have a plan for next term, and as always I expect no questions asked. We are going to find the Chamber of Secrets and open it." Tom opened up a large map across the table. "I have been looking for some time, and have narrowed down the search. I want you all to research as much as you can on the lore of the chamber, and find out anything about what lies within it."

"Yes my Lord." All the boys responded in unison. Anastasia looked around at them before noticing Tom's eyes fall on her.

"Yes my Lord." She said quietly. 

Tom handed out books that he had clearly already read, but was using them all the see if there was anything he had missed. As Anastasia read she noticed how unsurprised all the boys were about this plan. She knew the story of the Chamber of Secrets, everyone did, so she knew it could only be opened by the heir of Slytherin. She watched Tom scan and draw on the map strewn across the table. He suddenly made more sense to her now. This was where his confidence came from. She had seen them as somewhat equal before, as they were both half-bloods with the highest grades in their year, so had wondered how he was so self-assured in his brilliance. He knew he was more powerful than the rest of them because he was the heir. Suddenly she realised this group she had joined was more serious than she had ever anticipated, but her judgement was clouded by the fact that Tom, the heir of Slytherin, had allowed her in. He had just revealed to her a most deep secret, so her sense of pride overshadowed her fear.

After hours of reading and re-reading passages Anastasia realised the time and stood up to announce she would go and collect some lunch to bring the group.

"Good idea Ana, I'll help you with that-" Rosier stood up next to her but was stopped by Tom raising his hand.

"I'll help Miss Delaney." Tom stood up and nodded Anastasia towards the door. As they walked across the garden Anastasia admired Tom warming his cheeks in the winter sun.

"So, can you speak Parseltongue?" Anastasia asked quietly. Tom kept his face tilted up to the sky.

"Of course." He responded simply giving her the clarification she needed that he really was the heir. "You should know your help with Slughorn was fruitful." He stopped just before the entered the the back doors of the Manor.

"I'm glad. Anything to be of service my Lord." Anastasia grinned up at him. Tom looked down at her, incredibly please she had learned not to ask so many questions. Anastasia knew he was still testing her to see if she had learned how to play the game, so didn't ask on purpose. Realising his bloodline, she now knew he really was destined for greatness and she told herself that if she could become his most trusted follower, then she too would be great. The option of power was too delicious not to take, she would never be laughed at again.

As she collected the prepared sandwiches from the kitchen Tom went to his room to collect some more books.

"Miss Delaney, I wasn't aware you had taken up a maid position?" Anastasia turned around to see Elius leaning in the doorway. His appearance in the clear light of day did not disappoint. His white shirt highlighted his toned arms, and his height allowed him to loom over the entire room.

"Well, you never know where you'll end up Mr Lestrange. Although, I have to admit I think I'd make a rather terrible maid." Anastasia laughed. Elius walked over to her with the same cheeky grin from the night before. He placed his hand next to the basket she was packing and leaned next to her, slightly closer than she had anticipated.

"I think you and I both know a girl such as yourself is capable of anything you set your mind to." Elius' eyes flashed down over her body. "Plus, you would look rather fantastic in a maid's outfit." Anastasia felt her cheeks grow red hot and couldn't help but look at his smiling lips for a second before returning her eyes down to the sandwiches.

"I think you would suit a maid's outfit better than I would." She laughed as she finished packing the basket. Elius giggled and leaned in closer, his body towering over hers.

"Well, if that's what you desire that can be arranged Miss Delaney. We could have a contest if you like?" Anastasia tilted her neck up to meet his grey eyes, her breath hitched as his stare lowered towards her mouth. Suddenly they both heard the door open. Elius took a step back and Anastasia slammed the top of the basket shut.

"Elius, I believe Mrs Avery is waiting for you. She's serving lunch in the conservatory." Tom walked over with a stern expression, his hands tightly gripping the books.

"Yes, thank you Tom. I was just inquiring why Miss Delaney here was being made to collect lunch for my brother and his... friends." Elius stated in a passive aggressive tone as the two stared at each other.

"I offered, actually, Mr Lestrange. We better head back now, but enjoy your lunch." Anastasia spoke quietly, feeling incredibly uncomfortable with all the tension in the room. Elius broke his stare from Tom and smiled at her.

"Of course Miss Delaney, I look forward to seeing you later tonight once you've finished with your studies." With on final sharp look at Tom, Elius left the kitchen.

"What was that about?" Anastasia blurted out. Tom's eyes twitched towards her before turning on his heel to leave.

"I could ask you the same thing." His voice was sharp. Halfway down the garden Tom suddenly stopped. Anastasia turned back to see him staring at her.

"Miss Delaney I did not bring you here so you waste time conversing with insignificant people." Tom's tone was angry, a type of anger that shocked Anastasia as he always seemed so calm and collected.

"Then why did you bring me here Mr Riddle? You have plenty of boys in there to help you with your next task." Tom took a step closer to her, his stare felt invigorating.

"I brought you here because you are not one of those boys in there. As a woman you have access to conversations I do not. I believe Mrs Avery is in possession of an item I want to acquire."

"What is the item?" Anastasia whispered as Tom stood over her.

"A necklace. A locket to be exact, marked with the letter S."