Chapter 15

Anastasia managed slip away from Daphne after their last class and run to the library. She walked around, unsure what to look for. She wanted to see if anything had been written about Tom, whether he had achieved any of the goals they had talked about, but something was stopping her. She asked herself what would happen if she found out his future but then managed to get back to him, would it be a good thing or a bad thing? She wandered around the bookshelves, telling herself she still hadn't decided, but her eyes washed over countless books, row after row. She found nothing that seemed it could help her, but she wasn't going to give up. Her search became more and more focused, her fingers trailing each title. Suddenly she felt herself trip over something, and she landed on her side.

"Jesus!" She heard someone exclaim. She looked up from the floor to see Harry Potter sitting with his legs stretched out and his back leaning against a bookshelf. Anastasia saw one of her legs laying on top of his and quickly pulled it off of him.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't even see you..." Anastasia scrambled to her feet, followed quickly by the boy.

"No it's alright, are you ok?" His blue eyes watched her warily as she held her shoulder, clearly in a bit of pain.

"Yes I'm alright, thank you... sorry again." She went to turn away but Harry reached out his hand and placed it on her elbow.

"What were you looking for?" Anastasia's eyes shot to his large hand on her sleeve. She stared at his pale skin, her heart beating faster as she scanned over his arm and up his body before her eyes saw Tom standing in front of her. Her lungs failed and her heart raced but in one blink of her eyes he was gone and all she could see was Harry.

"Sorry?" She whispered shakily. Harry noticed his hand still on her arm, and quickly removed it, placing it in his pocket.

"Well this is quite a strange section of the library, so I was just wondering what you were looking for?" Anastasia felt unsure of his tone.

"Well then I could ask you the same thing Mr Potter." She quipped back. Harry thought he saw a glint of fear in her green eyes, but found himself slightly intoxicated by her scent. She smelled of oak and rain.

"I wasn't accusing you... I mean I wasn't trying to be rude. I know this area well actually, I just meant I could help you find what you're looking for." Anastasia's face softened slightly. She wanted to ask if he had ever heard of the name Tom Riddle, but decided it better to not. Tom could easily be famous in some way, so better she figure that out on her own. She watched him smile at her and decided the Potter boy could still be useful, however, as if what people said about him was true he must be quite powerful.

"Is there anything around here about time travel?" Anastasia decided not to try be clever about it, in hopes that her boldness would convey a type of believable confidence.

"Um, I'm not sure I've ever read anything about time travel, but Hermione knows a bit about it I think, so she might have a book recommendation for you." Anastasia nodded, at least that was something. "I can ask her for you, if you'd like?" She flickered her eyes up to him.

"Really? Thank you." It suddenly dawned on her why he was being so nice, he was also there looking for something. She took a step closer to him.

"So now maybe I can help you, why are you here Mr Potter?" A sly grin forming on her lips.

"You can call me Harry you know?" He smiled, but only partly. There was something he didn't want to tell her.

"Ok Harry, why are you here?" She repeated. They both felt the tension surround them like a blanket, unable to break their stares as they breathed in silence.

"Why do you want to learn about time travel?" Harry's voice had the same forced courage hers did. Anastasia nodded slowly. They had reached a stalemate.

"Touché." She whispered. Anastasia broke their eye contact and walked past him, their shoulders brushed against one another for a moment sending a shiver up Harry's spine.