Chapter 31

Harry had walked Anastasia back to her dorm fearing she would faint, but as soon as he left she snuck out again. She made her way to Dumbledore's office with anger building up in her stomach. Why did he always have to make everything so complicated? She wanted to ask him why he hadn't given her all the information about her disappearance as soon as she arrived, but suddenly she stopped at a crossroad in the corridors. She looked to her left and saw a section of Hogwarts she had not entered in a while. A memory of Tom seeped into her mind.

Tom pressed her against the cold bricks of the alleyway, running his thumb down her cheek.

"Don't trust anyone Anastasia. That's how you survive."

"Not even you?" She whispered, trembling from his touch. Tom looked down with subtle grin.

"Especially not me."

He was right. She only had herself. She turned left. She stood outside the room of requirement. Anastasia took a deep breath, for a second fearing the idea that once she entered she would not return again to this Hogwarts, not knowing why that scared her so much. She entered, once again seeing the room filled with piles of objects and junk. She walked briskly, weaving through the dusty mountains towards the fireplace at the back. Her eyes fluttered towards Tom's desk as she past it creating a nasty twinge in her stomach. She stopped in front of the fireplace, remembering how it felt to wake up in this strange time. She closed her eyes and began running her fingers over the dust-covered mantlepiece, desperately trying to recall how that night with Tom had ended. What did he do with the necklace once she had given it to him? She suddenly opened her eyes and looked down to the left of fireplace. She gasped. There had been a trunk there that night. She remembered noticing it when she had walked in. Tom sat on it as he put his shoes back on after they had... She was starting to remember him talking about it when suddenly she heard footsteps behind her. Anastasia swung around and lifted her wand from her robe. At the end of the wood she saw another wand and scared blue eyes staring back at her.

"Malfoy?" Anastasia lowered her wand. "What the hell are you doing here?" Draco didn't lower his wand, but she noticed his hand trembling slightly.

"I could as you the very same thing Marlowe." He spat. Anastasia looked down at his extended wand and took a small step forward.

"You're not trying to scare me, are you Malfoy?" Draco's feet shuffled backwards slightly. Fear was breaking through his angered expression.

"You need to get out of here." He flicked his wand towards her. Anastasia couldn't leave. It was too much of a coincidence that the first time she had gone back there she found him.

"Why?" She whispered, taking another small step forward. Draco's hand was shaking even more, and he found himself unable to remove his gaze from her green eyes.

"You can't be here. This doesn't concern you Marlowe."

"But, what if it does Draco?" The pair stared at one another, the air mixing with confusion and fear.

"H-how could it? You don't know what you're talking-"

"Draco." Anastasia looked down at his extended arm to see a tattoo creeping out of his sleeve. Draco's eyes followed hers, and he suddenly lowered his wand and pulled down the sleeve. Draco turned to walk away, but Anastasia grabbed his arm.

"Draco show me." Anastasia said sternly. Draco pushed her off of him making her fall over. Draco leaned over her, blocking her from getting up.

"You do not tell anyone about this." He spat down at her.

"Draco I need to see-" Anastasia reached up and grabbed Draco's wrist. As soon as her skin touched the tattoo the air around her glowed white and suddenly she saw Tom opening the trunk in front of her. She heard someone screaming, but as she tried to focus on the trunk the image blurred and she found a terrifying face staring back at her. It had slits for a nose, like a snake, and it's veiny eyes peered into her soul.

"Let go!" Anastasia released Draco's arm and fell on to her back. Draco grabbed his wrist in pain, her touch had burned but he looked down to see no marks.

"What the fuck Anastasia?" Draco whimpered. She breathed heavily in shock, not even noticing the boy. Draco grabbed a chunk of her hair, making her snap back into reality.

"If you tell anyone I'll kill you. Whoever the fuck you are you're not getting in my way." 

She could tell he was terrified, but that's why she believed him. As Draco left she tried picture the part of the tattoo she had seen. It was a snakes head. She thought she recognised it, but she couldn't be sure until she saw the rest of it. She needed to know what Tom released from the trunk that night. It had to be important. She slowly got to her feet, trying to ignore that scream continuously ringing in her ears. She knew who it was. What had Tom done? What had she done?