Chapter 4

Lexi's POV

Three and a half months. Mid August.

That's how long I've been in Houston, and how long I've been friends with Kristie. But lately, we've become closer and I think some would consider us more than friends, although we have yet to put a label on it.

Her company has been more than I could've ever asked for and she is perfect with Pia. We've spent so much time together, and Pia and I recently bought season tickets to the Houston Dash games. Seeing Pia smile with Kristie's jersey on is the cutest thing and she gets so excited any time the players step out onto the field.

Last week Pia began her first soccer practice in Houston, and Kristie will make a point to come when she can, even if Ella is the one to take Pia while I work. She loves kicking the ball around in the park down the street, and I will say I've been really glad to get my feet on a soccer ball again.

As my alarm clock goes off, I read the time to be 7:15am. I feel an arm snake around my waist and I'm pulled into Kristie's front, and a kiss is placed just below my ear.

"Why is your alarm going off so early? Practice isn't until 9:30 today."

"It's Pia's first day of school," I say as I roll over to face her and place a soft kiss on her lips. "We only spent a half hour picking out her outfit last night, how could you forget?"

"Oh I know, I didn't forget. I think we went through every item in her closet," she says chuckling a little. "I just didn't expect to have to wake up this early. I thought school drop off was at 8:45?"

"It is, and normally we don't get up this early. But first day of school donuts await, we can't skip out on first day traditions."

"Sounds fantastic," she says before leaning in and kissing me. Tangling my hands in her hair she wraps both arms around my waist and pulls me so I'm laying completely on top of her. When air becomes an issue I pull away and place my face in her neck, giving her a small kiss.

"I'll wake Pia and get her ready while you get dressed as well. We will meet in the kitchen in fifteen. Deal?"

"Deal," she says snaking out from under me. "I'll start on her lunch if I finish early."

"You don't have to do that Kris, seriously."

"Lex I don't mind I promise. Now go wake up the sleeping beauty."

Parting ways, I head down the hall and slowly open Pia's door, seeing her already getting dressed.

"What the heck are you doing up already! This isn't how the first day of school works, get back in bed I have to wake you up!"

"But mom it's the first day of kindergarten! I've been up since before the sun was in the sky."

Walking toward her I straighten out her shirt and pull her into a hug. "Well, how excited are you?"

"SO EXCITED!! I can't wait to make new friends. Maybe I can have a play date sometime soon, right mommy?"

"I'm sure we can make that happen. Why don't you grab your backpack and head out into the living room while I go get changed okay? But don't forget to brush your teeth."

"Okay. Do you think tucker can come with us to donuts? Maybe they'll have a doggy donut for him."

"We'll see alright? Now get your butt moving."

As we grab her things, Tucker is out the door first with Pia and me close behind. Just as we walk out, Kristie is walking out of my room and Pia stops her.

"Kristie! I didn't know you were gonna be here! Are you getting donuts with us? Mommy why didn't you tell me Kristie was here?"

"It was a surprise!" Kristie says before placing a kiss on her cheek and picking her up. "Let's let mommy get dressed and we will brush our teeth and pack your lunch."