Chapter 14

Lexi's POV

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Kristie asks as she follows me into Pia's school to pick her up. I met with Anna last week, as well as my lawyer to go over everything that has happened lately. Anna and I talked for hours, and although I don't trust her fully, I've decided to let her meet Pia. She gets one chance to make it right.

The warm air coming from the cafeteria hits my skin and eases the January cold. Todays our last day in town before we head to camp tomorrow morning, and then it's go time. Although no major tournament is coming soon, we play England at the end of this month who is an amazing opponent.

"No I still thinks it's a terrible idea. But for years I have tried to give her a chance knowing that giving up Pia was hard for her. And if she screws this up then there isn't any more chances to give. But I do feel deep down I need to do this."

"Okay," she says giving my hand a squeeze. "You're not alone in this remember that okay?"

"I know," I say giving her a smile and a kiss. "Thank you."

The two of us stand in silence until we see Pia walk toward us. Giving her a smile and a wave she doesn't reciprocate the actions. Instead she walks toward us with her head down holding onto her teddy bear for dear life.

"Hey," I whisper as I pick her up and place her in my arms. "What's got you so sad? Did you have a bad day?"

Her silence makes me walk toward the door, Kristie right by my side. "Talk to me little love, I want to know why you're so sad."

Sitting down on the bench outside, Pia slowly moves from my arms over to Kristie's, and I finally see the tears on her face. Seeing her cry breaks my heart.

"I had a great day today mommy," she finally says as she looks at me, Kristie wiping away her tears. "I just am nervous to meet Anna. Do you think she hates me?"

Having talked to Pia a lot this week about Anna, she still doesn't fully understand the situation but she did grasp a few things.

Taking her hands in mine I scoot closer to the two of them, laying my head on Kristie's shoulder as I look Pia in the eyes.

"Anna doesn't hate you, and she never did. In fact she decided she couldn't be your mommy because she loved you too much. She wanted you to grow up and be happy, just like you are now."

"I know she wants me to be happy and I am happy. I love you and mama a lot. But why do I have to meet her?"

"We don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you want to go home we can, or if you want to just go and say hi, that's okay too. I will never force you to do something that you don't want to."

She looks up at Kristie who kisses her forehead and she leans into her a little more. Her tears have stopped and her eyes have closed, but her eyebrow stays furrowed so I know the wheels in her head are turning.

"Okay I want to go."

"Okay, let's go then bug."

Walking toward the car, I get in myself while Kristie buckles Pia in the back before hopping in the driver seat.

"Can we listen to Moana?" Pia asks as we pull out of the parking lot toward the ice cream place down the road.

"Sure love," I say before putting the music on and reaching over for Kristie's hand.

Making the short five minute drive, we pull into the parking lot and I don't see Anna's car yet. Checking my phone to see if she's reached out, I noticed she hasn't and the three of us head inside to get ice cream.