Chapter 6

Lexi's POV

"Are you ready for your soccer game today little P?" I ask looking in the rear view mirror to see the little girl swinging her legs in her car seat, singing along to the song on the radio.

"I'm so excited! I'm gonna score so many goals!"

A smile sets onto my face as we pull into the busy parking lot full of kids and their parents. Parking the car, Pia and I sit and talk for a few minutes since it's only 8:33, and her game doesn't start until 9. She is so excited for our busy today and her smile stays on her face our entire conversation.

"Okay mommy can we go now? We don't have much time!"

"Sure love bug, it's time to win!"

Walking hand in hand over to the meeting spot, Pia sits down with a few of her teammates while I stand off to the side, conversing with some other parents. As their coach begins their pep talk, I see Pia's eyes start to wander around, clearly not paying attention.

As we walk on over to the field, I see her lagging behind her group, still aimlessly looking. Pulling her off to the side once we reach the field I bend down to her level and pull her into me.

"What's wrong? You were so excited just minutes ago."

"Do you think Kristie and Jane will make it? They said they would be here."

"Pia you have to remember they have a game today, and they had a team walk at 8. I'm sure they are going to try their hardest but they need to be focused for today just like you do. Right?"

"You're right mommy, I just want them to watch me play."

"You focus on the game, they will be here when they can. Remember though, their job is super important. They want to win today just like you!"

"I know," she says wrapping her arms around my neck and kissing my cheek. "Love you, make sure you cheer for me."

"I will love, have fun."

Walking across to the other side of the field I sit down next to Beooklyn's mom, Pia's best friend, and talk aimlessly as the game goes on. Pia scored one goal and to celebrate she did a huge bow followed by a wave, just like Kristie does.

With five or so minutes left in the game, I feel arms wrap around my shoulders and I look up seeing Kristie looking down at me.

"Hey love," she says kissing my temple. "How's she doing? Sorry I almost missed it. We had a short meeting afterward."

"Don't be sorry, I told Pia and she understood. And she's doing good. She did a goal celebration that looked just like yours."

"I've taught her well," she says while laughing and sitting directly behind me, her legs extending out on the side of mine. Leaning back into her, she rests her head on my shoulder for the remainder of the game.

As the final whistle blows, Pia and Brooklyn run to get their things and their snack after high-fiving the other team, before running over toward us.

"Kristie!! You made it!" I lean forward quickly and just in time as Pia jumps into Kristie's lap at full speed. The two talk for a few minutes and I talk with Brooklyn and her mom.

"Mommy can Brooklyn come with us to Kristie's game today? Please mommy?"

"If her mom is okay with it she can. Maybe we can go get some lunch before heading to the stadium. How does that sound?"

"Yay! Ms. Lucy will you come with us? We can have a fun day!"

"I would love to come. Why don't Brooklyn and I head home to change and we will meet you at the diner in an hour?"