Chapter 17

Lexi's POV

Walking off the elevator onto the 8th floor of the hospital, I play with the rings on my fingers as I slowly make my way towards my managers office. Passing by a few coworkers I give them small waves, trying to hide my face that is puffy from crying.

It's been three days since Pia's fight as school, and also since I screamed at Kristie. We have yet to speak, even though she has tried reaching out. She took Pia out to dinner last night but she did all her communication through Jane who had reached out to me.

It's not that I don't want to hear what she has to say, because I do. And I miss her. But I am afraid of what will come out of her mouth. This is the first stable relationship I have ever allowed myself to be in and I don't want it to end.

This weekend was rough for me. On top of Pia's changing moods, my own have taken a complete 180. All I do is sleep on my off days and instead of spending my weekend with Pia who needs me the most, I had her stay with Ella for the weekend so I could be by myself.

"Lexi what're you doing here?"

I jump at the voice, and seeing my manager before me, I can't even imagine how long I have been standing here in my own thoughts.

"I'd like to speak with you actually. Do you have a minute?"

She opens her door more for me to step inside and she closes it behind me. As I sit down in the chair across from her desk I stare off into space, unable to bring my words to light.

"Want to tell me what's going through your head?"

As the tears rush down my face, I tell her everything. I tell her about Pia and how she's changed. I tell her about Kristie and what's been going on. I tell her about the WNT and the job. I tell her about my mental health and how I'm not doing well. I tell her about this past weekend and how I hadn't gotten out of bed until an hour ago.

"I think I need to take a step back from this job. I love this job, and I love the people I am able to help. But ultimately I need to spend this time I am home with Pia and being there for her. I don't want to quit, but I'd like to change my hours and only work part time. Two days a week."

She smiles at my slightly before coming to sit in the chair next to me.

"Now that you've given me the fake reason, give me the real one."

I think for a second because I know she's right, but I don't know how to put my words together.

"I spend all my time focusing on other people at both of my jobs. And I never focus on me. I need to do that before I go insane. And I need to do that so I can be a better mom and girlfriend."

"Two days a week it is, I'll make the changes and see you Wednesday for your next shift. That sounds good to you?"

Without responding I pull her in for a hug as my thank you.

I exit her office after composing myself and make my way back to my car. Texting Ella, asking her to pick up Pia from school, I then make my way over to Kristie's apartment. The drive there feels like an hour, as I try to come up with the right things to say. I know I haven't been fair in the situation, but I also was the one blindsided.

Knocking on her door I wipe away the few stray tears and hope Jane isn't the one to answer the door. When it swings open I am met with my girlfriend on the other side, with a messy bun and only a sports bra and shorts on. Even though we haven't spoken in days, I still take the time to glance at her body before meeting her eyes.

"Can we talk?"

"Yeah of course. I have a few teammates over, let's head to my room."

As we walk past the living room, the last person I want to see is sat on the couch with 3 other teammates.