Chapter 1

Lexi's POV

"Pia, slow down! I understand you're really excited but I need you to take a deep breathe okay?"

The blonde haired four year old and her golden doodle puppy Tucker come to a halt and her shoulders slump as she slowly turns around.

"Mommy I'm just so excited! We have a new house! And it's so warm here, let's go swimming!"

Catching up to her, I kneel down to her height, place my bag by my side, and put both of my hands on her cheeks.

"I know you're excited Pia girl, but we can't swim just yet. Let's unpack a little and maybe we can swim this afternoon okay? Now, let's go see inside."

Standing up, I grab her hand and walk a couple more feet before standing in front of the apartment. When I finished my rotation here in Houston at Texas Children's, I knew that this is where I wanted to be and where I wanted to call home. I was done traveling for work, and I wanted Pia to have a solid home instead of living out of boxes. I signed a four year contract in the pediatric ICU here, and I officially finished my fitness coach and athletic training degree 2 months ago. Although I haven't found a job to fulfill that part of my career yet, I want to start looking soon.

But for now, I want to settle into our apartment before starting work in two weeks. And I have a LOT of work to do before then.

Putting the key in the lock, I push the door open and Pia immediately runs inside, Tucker right at her heels. I sigh and smile seeing the apartment already filled. I had all our stuff shipped here a week ago - furniture, boxes, Knick knacks, etc. The moving company set everything up for us furniture wise so all I would have to do is unpack. Placing my bag on the kitchen counter I walk over to the wall filled with windows and stand behind my daughter.

"It's so pretty here mommy."

"It is, isn't it? Are you excited?"

"I'm so excited! Do I have to have a babysitter here? I am getting older mommy, I'm so big!"

Smiling at her and laughing slightly, I then sit down on the floor and pull her into my lap.

"I know you're a very big girl, and you're so so helpful. Unfortunately though, I will have to find you a babysitter. But, you'll be five soon and August is only 4 months away. Then you'll get to start kindergarten and things will be a little different. But the good thing is, Ella is still going to be your babysitter!"

Working 12 hour days as a single mom is definitely not easy. My schedule is never the same, and I definitely miss being home with my daughter. I adopted Pia when I was 24. She was brought into the ICU I was working at when she was 3 months old, and before I could even treat her, her mom told me she couldn't take care of her and she was leaving her here. Her mom was only 19, and Pia had a heart problem that needed lots of medical attention. I sat with her mom and tried to reason with her, but she just wouldn't listen. I took care of Pia for 2 months, and watched her heart grow stronger. I spent extra time at the hospital at night holding her and singing. I grew attached very quickly, and knew I couldn't leave her in foster care. The day she was supposed to leave I adopted her. It was the only thing I thought would be right.

When I was working in Houston during my rotation, I found a nanny for Pia, her name was Ella - and to say her and Pia were inseparable was an understatement. She lives in this apartment building so she'll be nice and close for when I'm called in.

"So, how about we play some music, and I will unpack while you and Tucker play in your room?"

"Okay!"

Her and Tucker run toward the hallway and I make my way to the kitchen, diving into all the boxes.

Over the next several hours, I finish unpacking everything except my own bedroom. I ordered us lunch and we took a break to eat out on the balcony a couple of hours ago, and now I'm slumped on the couch with Pia laying next to me and Tucker at our feet.