Chapter 5

Lexi's POV

"Woah that was a huge splash! You got me wet all the way over here," I say with a smile looking at Pia wade in the pool.

"How much longer do I have mommy until Kristie gets here? I can't wait to see her!"

"You have about an hour and then we have to head inside okay?"

I don't think she heard my last few words as her head has disappeared under water. She swims around the pool doing jumps here and there, as I lay out soaking up the sun. My skin burns a little, telling me the color of my skin is getting darker.

The best part of Houston - sun all year round.

My phone rings, which catches me off guard. I jump a little in my chair before looking at the caller ID. Seeing it's the hospital I start to panic.

"Hello, lexi speaking."

"Hey Lexi, it's Jody."

Knowing the call is coming from the ICU, I start to panic. I wouldn't be getting a call on my day off.

"What's wrong, what's happening?"

"It's Leo, the little boy you've been taking care of the past month. He took a turn for the worst over night, we just got him stabilized. Dr. Choi says he probably won't make it through the night. Him and his dad are asking for you to be here. I know you're probably busy but-"

"Don't say that. I'm on my way. I just have to find someone to watch Pia."

Ending the call quickly, I start to hyperventilate thinking of the little boy holding on for dear life at the hospital. I have been there since his first day in the ICU, immediately drawn to him. After my first day, his dad requested I was always by his side when I work. His cancer has increasingly gotten work over the last week, and he's been on and off a ventilator all month. Today he's on his last straw, and being by his side is the most important thing to me.

Closing my eyes, I take a deep breathe and settle myself before putting my phone to my ear.

"Hello?" Ella says on the other line.

"Ella, I need a huge favor. You know I hate asking you to work on my off days, but I'm desperate. This little boy I've cared for for over a month is on his last day, maybe even his last hours. He's asking that I be there with him. I'm down at the pool right now, can I drop Ella off by your apartment?"

"I'll run and grab your keys and purse and I'll be down in five minutes. Ben was wanting to go to the pool today anyway. I don't mind at all, see you soon."

Before I can even respond, she's hung up on me and I lean back into my chair.

"Pia, come here for a minute."

"But mommy I'm having so much fun!"

"Baby please okay? It'll be quick."

She runs toward me in her wet bathing suit that's clinging to her body and I hold out the towel in front of me as she runs into my arms. Wrapping her in a hug, I hold her and let a couple of tears slip from my eyes. Leo is the same age as Pia, and I could never imagine losing her to something so serious.

Before I can even grasp what's happening, Pia is out of my arms and her and Ben are running toward the pool. Ella is sat in front of me, her hands holding mine.

"Wipe those tears away, Leo doesn't want to see those. He wants to see that beautiful smile of yours."

Looking up at her, I pull her into a hug before standing up.

"I'll call Kristie and have her come and grab Pia from you when she gets home. She should be home within the next few hours. Pia and I were supposed to pick her up but Jane can bring her home, or another teammate I'm sure. Let me know if you need anything or if Pia causes you any trouble."