Chapter 9

Lexi's POV

"That's it," I say toward the coaching staff as I see Julie down on the ground again. "Call it and take her out."

Vlatko blows the whistle before I grab a water bottle and make my way towards Julie. Seeing her lying on her back, face twisted and breathing heavily I make my presence known before looking at her knee.

Moving it around and stretching it out she cries out in pain before saying, "You know I probably could've finished the scrimmage."

"Oh shut up," I say laughing before pulling her onto her feet and helping her off the field. "You can finish the scrimmage another day but don't expect it to be for a couple at least."

"Whatever you say boss," she says shoving me away before sitting down on the bench. "Can I have some ice?"

"What's more comfortable," I say placing the ice in a bag. "Having your knee straight or bent?"

"Bent."

Taking the Saran Wrap I place the bag on her knee before wrapping it up. Making sure it's tight enough I tape it up and then give her a smile.

"You're done for the day, no weights this afternoon. Water and pain pills every 4 hours, and I want to do a treatment after dinner tonight."

"You know Tobin has told be about these treatments, she says they suck."

"Well Tobin is back on the field and will probably play in the game this weekend. So how's 7pm sound?"

"It's a date."

"Don't tell Kris that."

She throws her head back laughing before I walk back over to the coaching staff and watch the remainder of practice. Throwing critiques in here and there we finish off practice with a goal by Sam to make it a 2-1 win for her side.

Cleaning up some bands and cones from the beginning of practice, I never let others do my work for me because I am just as much apart of this team as they are, I pack up my couple bags and load them onto the bus.

Sitting in the third row I place my AirPods in and play some music, resting my eyes. As I am almost asleep, I feel one AirPod be taken out and a presence next to me.

"Nice work today babe, you did good."

"Not my best, but I did okay."

"If I tell you you sucked big time would that make you at least compliment yourself?"

"Maybe," she says laughing a little. "Maybe not, we'll see."

As the music continues, the bus takes off and it's not long before a phone call comes through on my phone. Seeing my moms face pop up on the screen I smile, having not talked to her for a while.

"Do you want your AirPod back? I know it's been a couple weeks since you've last talked."

"No, it's okay. I'm sure she'll be excited to talk to you."

Answering the phone, my mom and dad appear on the screen with big smiles on their faces, along with Leo, my neighbor and best friend since birth.

"Oh my god Leo! What're you doing home? Oh I wish Pia was here she would be so excited to see you. How are you? How are Layla and Brady? He has to be so big now and-"

"Oh sweet pea take a breath! You're overwhelming the poor boy and you haven't even said hello to the people who birthed you!"

"Hi mom, hi dad, Kristie is here as well. Say hi Kris."

Turning the camera toward Kristie she gives a warm smile before diving into conversation with my mom. See? I told you she would be more excited to talk to her than me.