Chapter 13

Lexi's POV

Walking through the hospital doors the Christmas tree in the lobby fills my face with a smile. It's currently 10:30pm on Christmas Eve. Although I am not scheduled to work, I was asked to come in for a four hour shift to cover a hole on the floor. I tucked Pia in a few hours ago with Tucker right by her side, and Kristie and I filled underneath the tree with all the gifts for the morning.

With my work schedule, Pia and I were unable to make it home to North Carolina, and against my orders, Kristie stayed as well. Although I am very glad she decided to stay.

Walking onto the floor with my Christmas sweater on, I place the box of donuts I brought in the break room before grabbing my assignment sheet and starting on work. As the hours pass by and it's well after midnight, my coworkers and I start wrapping a gift for each patient on the floor. We asked each parent one gift their child wanted and went shopping yesterday so we could hand them out. Once my patients gifts were wrapped, I slowly crept into the first room and turn the small light on by the window.

Seeing Noah, the fourteen year old boy asleep in his bed, I make my way over to his mom who is reading a book. Her smile always lights up the room, even though her face is always reading other mixed emotions.

"Merry Christmas Jill," I say as I sit on the couch next to her.

"Merry Christmas Lexi, and thank you for this," she says gesturing toward the gift. "He is going to be very excited."

"I am glad I am able to make him smile, that's all I ask for."

The two of us talk for a few more minutes before the boy starts to stir in the bed. Having been here for a week, his internal clock wakes him up at all the right times throughout the night.

"My arms ready, you're five minutes late," he says looking at his phone.

"Sorry," I say standing up and heading over to the vitals machine. "Santa was a little late delivering your gift."

"Gift?" His eyebrows furrow at first before he smiles and sits up with wide eyes. I attach all the wires to him and grab his information before sitting in the chair next to his bed, while his mom sits next to him. He rips open the paper as fast as he can to reveal a painting set, a sketchbook and a new novel he has been asking for. His smile leads to tears running down his own face and his moms.

"Thank you." He says looking between the two of us. "I'm not sure who this is from but thank you. I am going to get started."

Leaving the two be, I deliver my last gift to the little three year old next door before giving report and heading out the front door.

Driving home in silence, something I do when I work nights to quiet my mind and prepare me for sleep, I breeze through the green lights before parking and heading up the elevator to the apartment.

Unlocking the door quietly, I set all my things on the counter, check on Pia, and make my way into my bedroom.

The tv light is seen from the hall, and as I open the door I notice Kristie passed out with her mouth open and small snores coming from her. Stripping into pajamas, I brush my teeth and crawl into bed, letting sleep take over.

——————————

"Mommy! Mama! Wake up, it's Christmas!"

Feeling a little body crawl across me alongside a four legged friend, I slowly pull away from Kristie's side and open my eyes. Seeing Pia smiling so wide, I instantly pull her into me and smother her face with kisses.

"Merry Christmas my love."

"Can we open presents now mommy? I waited until 7:30 just like you asked."