Chapter 3

Lexi's POV

"Oh no Leah, is he doing okay?"

"He's alright, he has a slight fever and a sore throat, I just picked him up from school. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can watch Pia tonight, I don't want her to catch anything."

"Oh my gosh, don't even worry about it seriously! I just hope he gets better soon," I say while running my hand through Pia's hair who is sleeping next to me.

"I'll talk to you soon alright? I'll see you at work next week."

As I say goodbye to Leah, I internally curse and sigh. Tonight is supposed to be my date with Kristie, and I do not want to cancel. I've been looking forward to it all week and I know she has as well.

As my head spins, I try and think of an alternative. I hate asking Ella to babysit outside her scheduled days, because she deserves her free time away from Pia. She also is busy tonight with a work dinner for Ben.

This is the moment I wish my parents could travel and live wherever I am. I don't have any siblings, so I am my parents pride and joy. But I could never ask them to leave their lives they've created for me.

Racking my brain, and ultimately coming up with nothing, I reach for my phone and call Kristie. Stepping away from Pia so I don't wake her, I head into the kitchen area.

"Hey lex, what's up? You're not bailing on my tonight now are you?" I can hear the smirk in her voice and I instantly close my eyes and sigh.

"Actually, I am but not by choice. I'm so sorry Kris, I was really looking forward to our date."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't have anyone to watch Pia tonight. My friend Leah was supposed to but her son is sick, and I hate asking Ella for everything when she does so much."

"Stop it lex, don't be sorry. I completely understand. But I may have a solution for you."

"Wait really?" My eyes light up and I straighten up a little.

"How about Jane watches her tonight?"

"No kris, I can't. That's so rude of me. I barely know your teammate let alone your roommate and I'm sure she'd rather be doing something much more fun on this Friday night."

"Oh stop it right now. We have a game tomorrow so my teammates won't be doing anything crazy. And Jane loves kids. I know she was supposed to hang out with a couple teammates tonight but movie night is at our place, Pia would fit right in!"

"I'm not sure Kris, I've never even met these girls."

"Well how about this. The girls are coming over at five for pizza. You could come over and meet everyone and Pia can have pizza with the girls. I trust these girls with my whole life, I would never put Pia in danger."

"I know you wouldn't, I trust you with my whole life and I just met you."

"Well I'm glad to hear that, tonight will go great I promise you. And I cannot let this date get cancelled, I'm way too excited. Plus I think this'll really help me mentally prepare for my game tomorrow, you can't put my career at risk like that can you?"

"You're smooth love, very smooth. But I'm in. I'll see you at five. Should I be ready by then so we can just hang out with your friends a little?"

"That sounds perfect."

"Okay, I'll see you then."

As I hang up the phone I lean my head on the counter and sigh before looking at the clock.