Chapter 7

Lexi's POV

Humming along to the radio, I do some dancing around the apartment as I clean room by room. I have the next few days off after working five days straight, and I am in desperate need of getting my shit together. Pia is at school, Tucker is asleep on the dog bed out on the balcony, my songs are going, and I'm still in my comfy clothes - and it's almost 3PM. We've finally hit the month of November, and it's "cooled off" a little in Houston. The breeze running through the apartment is making the day feel so much better.

I'm broken out of my happy dance to my phone ringing in the kitchen. Placing the dust rag on the living room side table, I quickly rush over, still humming along. When I see Kristie's name on the phone, I grow concerned and immediately answer.

"Kris are you alright? You never call during practice is something wrong?"

"I'm okay, everything is fine I promise. But I kinda need you to get that cute butt of yours over to the training field. It's important, but like I said, everything's fine."

"I-Uh, what? I have to pick up Pia in like 45 minutes, can I come after?"

"Ella is grabbing her, I already called her and I called Pia's school. Please, babe it's important and I already took care of it."

"Okay, I'll be there soon. I just have to change quick, I can't embarrass myself and show up in my pajamas."

Her soft chuckle on the other end of the line eases my nerves just a little, as we say goodbye and hang up the phone.

Turning off the radio, I bring Tucker inside before heading off to my room. Throwing on the first thing I can find, a sundress with some Air Force ones, I put on a quick layer of mascara before grabbing all my things.

Walking down to my car, I rack my brain with what Kristie could possibly need. I think of multiple different scenarios in my head but I ultimately come up with nothing as i pull into the parking lot of the training stadium. Locking my car I slip my purse over my shoulder before heading inside. Greeting Linda, the front desk lady and Pia's favorite woman to hang out with here, I can't even get my words out before Kristie is pulling me away.

"Kris slow down please!" I say as I pull her to a halt in the long hallway she's leading me down.

"Can you please explain what's going on? You have me worried."

Fully taking a look at her, her tan skin glows with the thin layer of sweat and the baby hairs are forming her face perfectly. No matter what she's about to tell me, I can't stay mad because she is gorgeous and I can't get over it.

"A while back I told you about our athletic trainer leaving for the national team, remember?"

"Yes but what does that have to do with Houston?and that wasn't until the new year."

"Nothing, but my national team coach is here and we've run into a little bit of a pickle and we're hoping you can help us. Now come on, I promise you it'll be alright."

"Woah woah, wait are they gonna offer me a job? Kris I'm not sure about this we haven't even talked about anything a-"

Before I can get my sentence fully out shes pulled me into a conference room with a couple people in there, and none that I recognize except one.

"Hey Lexi," Vlatko says to me. "Have a seat." His smile is inviting so I slowly sit down and my leg won't stop shaking. Kris places her hand on my knee and gives it a small squeeze before looking at me and giving me a wink. I grab onto her hand and play with the rings on her fingers, something I do when I'm nervous.

"I hate to bring you in here like this, but I'm here on such short terms it unfortunately had to be this way. I would hate to have this conversation over the phone, I want you to truly grasp and understand everything."