Chapter 8

Lexi's POV

Closing my bedroom door behind me, I slowly walk toward the kitchen not wanting to wake Pia. Kristie should be home any minute, and I still have some last minute packing things to do before the WNT camp tomorrow. To say I'm nervous is an understatement, and I truly think I'm in way over my head. I have expressed my concerns to both Vlatko and Kristie and they both seem to think I am not confident in my abilities and that I will truly succeed, but I guess I won't feel the same until I experience it myself.

Packing up my last minute things except the stuff I need to grab in the morning, I boil some hot water for some tea before sitting down on the couch, the TV volume down low. The background noise keeps my thoughts from roaming.

Staring out the window for a while, I'm not taken away from my thoughts until I see someone standing in front of me.

"Hey," I say with a small smile as I pull Kristie down on the couch into my side.

"I'm proud of you," I whisper into her ear as I kiss the side of her head.

"And I'm proud of you."

Pulling away to look in her eyes, I roll my own. "Don't take away your amazing milestone to please me. You are the most amazing person and I wish you saw how much talent you truly have."

"I am proud of you though. You show me how to push harder and be independent. You're a badass mom, a nurse, an athletic trainer, a fitness coach, my girlfriend... I mean you're killing every aspect of life."

"I love you, you know that? But tonight is about you."

Pulling her into me I kiss her hard before pulling us down fully on the couch. As our hands roam each others bodies our shirts make their way on the floor when my phone rings.

"Leave it be," Kristie says as she kisses lower on my neck toward my collarbone.

"Babe it's work," I slowly get out between moans. "I need to answer it."

Hearing Kristie sigh in frustration, I kiss her one last time before standing up and rushing to my phone in the kitchen.

"Hello?"

"Hey Lexi, it's Emma." My manager says as she speaks through the phone.

"Im not on call aren't I? I swore I checked my calendar."

"No, you're not on call and I know you leave super early in the morning, but I really need you to come in for an emergency case. They land from Austin at midnight."

Looking at the clock that reads 11:17pm, I start walking toward my room with Kristie right behind me.

"I need to be out by 7:30am, I cannot miss my flight."

"Oh thank you so much, you're truly saving me."

"Fill me in on the patient."

Slowly opening my door I keep my movement to a minimum as I head toward my bathroom and Kristie grabs my scrubs. Changing quickly and throwing on a little makeup, I grab the few things I need for my shift before heading toward the kitchen.

"I am leaving in 5 minutes, could you have a coffee ready for me?"

"Iced chai latte, I'm on it. Thanks again lexi."

Hanging up the phone I throw all I need in my bag by the door and grab some random things in the fridge for my "lunch" break.

"Okay, there's a list on top of my suitcase of everything that needs to be packed in the morning. All of mine and Pia's things are by the couch, Pia's close are set out in my bathroom. Please let me know if she gives you a hard time in the morning. She is really excited so I think she will be okay. Im so sorry I am leaving all of this to you this is not what I planned but please text me in the morning when you wake up and-"