Chapter 16

Lexi's POV

Picking up the ringing phone off the coffee table, I rub the sleep from my eyes to try and make out the caller ID.

Seeing it is Pia's school, I sit up quickly and press the accept button.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Nancy calling from Reading Elementary. Is this Ms. Sanders?"

"Yes this is, is everything okay?"

Panic starts to set in and I start to playing with the rings on my fingers. Normally when I am nervous, Kristie is by my side and she calms me down, but she went home to visit family after camp last week so I am all alone. Luckily her plane lands tonight.

"I am sat here in the office with Pia. She got in a fight at school today. Are you available to come in and speak with Principal Winders?"

My throat goes dry and my eyes widen hearing what happened. The last time Pia got in a fight, it was over a boy who made fun of Kristie and I. After the past few weeks she has had dealing with the news of her birth mom, I can't imagine what happened this time.

"Y-yes, I'll be right in. I should be there in 15 minutes. Can I speak with Pia quick?"

Hearing shuffling on the end of the line I quickly throw on shoes and grab my purse before heading out the door. Before I can lock it, I hear my six year olds voice crumble on the other line.

"M-mo-mommy?"

"Hey baby, I'll be there soon alright? Then we can talk. Wipe your eyes and think about what happened today and your actions. I love you."

Her voice cracks once more before she hangs up the phone and I head down to my car.

Sending a quick text to Kristie asking if a teammate can pick her up later, I make the short drive to the elementary school.

Driving felt like a haze, as all I could focus on was Pia. I took this week off from work to not only help Pia transition back to school, but also mentally wrap my head around everything that had happened with Anna. I have tried reaching out to her but my messages don't seem to be going through, I assume she has blocked me.

Pia hasn't been quite the same either since her birthday. Although her day ended up turning around, she hasn't been as bubbly and excited like she used to be prior to Anna cutting off communication. Normally she tells me too much information but now it feels like pulling teeth trying to get her to talk to me. She even has been quiet whenever Kristie calls, and usually you cannot separate the two.

I sit in the parking lot for a few minutes to gather my thoughts before unlocking the car and heading in. Just as I go to open the door I see a mom and son walk out. Seeing the look on her face, I can tell it's the parent of the son my daughter got in a fight with.

Signing myself in at the office I give Ms. Nancy a quick glance before she nods toward Principal Winders office. Knocking softly, I hear faint words behind the door and open it to see Pia sat in the chair in front of the principals desk.

"Ah, Ms. Sanders, have a seat."

As soon as Pia hears my name she turns around with tears in her eyes. I give her a kiss on the forehead before greeting the principal, shaking his hand.

"Please call me Lexi, sorry if I took too long, there was a bit of lunch time traffic."

"No worries at all, Pia here was just telling me about your time in California. It seemed she was a very busy girl."

"Yeah she was, she likes to give the girls a headache with her crazy songs and dances."

I give him a small smile and he does the same before getting a serious look on his face.