Chapter 18

Lexi's POV

"Thanks for joining us on this trip so last minute," Stacey, the new Houston Dash coach, says to me as we walk out of the facilities on our way to the airport. "I really appreciate it."

"Thanks for having me, it'll be a great opportunity. And thanks for letting Pia come, I don't have anyone to watch her."

"She is always welcome, you know that."

I give her a smile before placing mine and Pia's luggage under the bus, on our way to the airport.

It's February 7, preseason started at the beginning of the month. Houston have yet to hire a new athletic trainer and fitness coach, so I am filling in on their preseason trip while the look for someone. We are headed to England to play Man City and Arsenal, and I am really excited as I have family in Manchester. I haven't been to England since 2019 so it'll be nice to see them during our downtime.

As I sit with Pia on the bus, she watches Moana with her headphones on while I watch without sound until I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Sorry for bother," Stacey says as she hands me over a binder. "Here is each players profile. We have some out on injury this trip but I'd like them to continue their rehab while away. And please take the fitness portion in whichever direction you choose, the girls could use a challenge."

Thanking her, I spend the rest of the 20 minute drive skimming the binder, making notes when I feel necessary.

As we get to the airport we spend an hour going through customs before heading to gate L10. The coaching staff and I pass out dinner to everyone which we ordered ahead, and we all gather round talking and eating. Sitting with Kristie cuddled into her side, I keep a close eye on Pia who is off chatting with Morgan Brian while the two play a game. Her fight only happened a few weeks ago, and I still get worried she will close off on me again. Kristie tries to reassure me everything is okay but I can't help but worry.

As we are boarding our flight, which just consists of the team, I take my seat near the front with Pia next to me and Kristie across the aisle. Settling into the reclining seats, I set Pia up with her tablet and she is asleep before take off.

An hour into the flight, almost everyone is asleep except for me and a few others. Kristie is sat in her seat reading a book so I make sure Pia is asleep before going to sit next to her. Pulling the blanket over the two of us I curl into her lap and steal her book from her hand.

"You know it was just getting good babe," she says as she pulls me into her and kisses my forehead.

"Yeah but we need to sleep, training tomorrow when we land won't be easy."

"If it's anything like the national team fitness testing, these girls don't know what they've signed up for."

I chuckle softly before resting my eyes and leaning my head on Kristie's shoulder. She runs her fingers through my hair as we relax a bit.

"Hey Kris?"

"Yeah love?"

"I have some family in Manchester that I haven't seen in a while. Would you like to meet them? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"Lex why do you say that? I'd love to meet them. I didn't know you had family over there. Is there much family or just a few people?"

"Did you not realize my moms accent?" I say laughing as I look up at her and her face reddens.

"You're right, I didn't put the two together."

"I just have one aunt left over here, my grandparents have passed. My mom moved to the US for college and never came back."