Chapter 23

Pulling into the familiar apartment parking lot, I turn off the car and lean back into my seat, closing my eyes. Pia and I started our long car journey two days ago from Florida, while Kristie flew home. She insisted on driving with us, but she'd already been away for almost a month and the Dash was asking for her back.

Glancing at the clock that reads 9:17pm, I peak into the back window to see Pia sound asleep. I send Kristie a text, saying we are outside, and then put my phone away before keeping my eyes on the sleeping six year old in the back seat.

Thinking about what the next few months entails terrifies me. I have stepped away from the hospital for now to give my full attention to Pia. The Dash put me in contact with the greatest PT and OT specialist, who we will be seeing everyday. School has been fully online since the surgery, and it's already March, so I will probably be a kindergarten teacher for the next 2 months.

To top it all off, the World Cup is in 4 short months, and we are headed to Australia and New Zealand. That's a lot of flying and traveling that I'm not even sure Pia can do. But I cannot imagine her being away from Kristie and I all that time.

A knock sounds on the door and I see Kristie there with a smile on her face. I open the door quietly and step outside, closing it behind me.

"I have missed you so much", I say kissing her on the lips while picking her up slightly and spinning her in a circle.

She laughs as she pulls away before grabbing my face in her hands and staring into my eyes.

"I missed you more. But you know who missed you and especially Pia the most?"

I furrow my eyebrows giving her a confused look before shaking my head.

"Tucker. He's been sleeping by the front door waiting for you. He has been so sad."

"Pia has been talking about him nonstop this whole car ride, I'm sure she will scream when she sees him."

"How long has she been asleep?"

"A few hours. Hopefully she will sleep till the morning. I could use a good night sleep myself."

Kissing my forehead, Kristie then heads toward Pia's car door, opening it softly to try and make sure she stays asleep. I grab the bags out the back while Kristie takes she sleeping six year old inside. Locking the car, and making our way to the apartment, Kristie is off in Pia's room already when I enter.

Tucker comes bounding toward me and I instantly smile, and I let a few tears fall.

"Hi buddy," I say picking him up and heading toward the couch. "I've missed you so much. We're you good for Ella and Ben?"

Although he can't talk back to me, I talk his ear off and ramble about anything that comes to mind as tears continue rolling down my face. The overwhelming feeling of the unknown going forward is making my head spin and I can't seem to make it stop. My vision is so blurry that I don't even see Kristie in front of me, I only feel her hands touching my face trying to wipe tears away.

"Come on love, let's go to bed."

She places Tucker on the edge of Pia's bed before the two of us head to our room. I slowly make my way under the covers, not even bothering to change. I don't feel like myself at this moment, I feel like a robot going through the motions.

"I asked for tomorrow off of training," Kristie says as she gets into bed next to me, pulling me to her.

"Kris you just got back, you didn't have to do that."

"I know, and they weren't happy about it. I was taken out of the starting 11 for this weekend. But I told them they didn't have an option. That I was going to these appointments with the two of you."

Hearing those words makes me break down even more and I turn over on my other side so we're face to face.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You know that? I'm sure Pia will be happy you're coming. She's nervous, as am I."

"You're the best thing to ever happen to me. I love you. Now close your eyes, it'll be morning before you know it."

——————————

Kristie's POV

Hearing the bedroom door creak open, I glance at the clock before sitting up, not wanting Pia to wake Lexi. As the little one rounds the bed, with Tucker at her side, she climbs into bed and I pull her under the covers.

"How did you sleep?" I whisper as I kiss her forehead and run my fingers through her hair.

"Okay, but my head hurts. Will you go lay on the couch and watch a movie with me before you go to soccer?"

"No soccer today, I'm going to the doctor with you. How long has your head been hurting?"

"The clock said 433, and now it's 716. So a long time."

"Why don't you go feed Tucker and I'll grab you some medicine? You can pick a movie too."

"Can mommy come?"

"No, let her sleep a little longer. We'll wake her up later."

She slowly makes her way toward the living room as I grab medicine from the bathroom before I join her on the couch. Throwing a blanket over us, the opening credits of Moana play with Tucker's crunching in the background. Pia plays with the rings on my fingers absentmindedly as the story unfolds on tv, but I don't watch a single minute. Im too busy focused on the girl in my lap.

Although Pia isn't mine, she occupies my mind every minute of every day. I've tried to be strong for her and Lexi this past month, but internally I am breaking. I have been crying on the phone often with my sister, unsure how to help and feel like I'm doing anything good. I've even thought about putting my career on hold, but I know Lexi would never forgive me for that. And I also know soccer is what Pia loves, so I can't break her heart too.

"Hey mama?" Pia's voice catches my attention and I look down to see her staring up at me.

"Yeah baby?"

"Do you think mommy is sad?"

"I think she is a little sad yeah, but I think now that you're home she's starting to feel happy. Being in the hospital for so long was very hard. But seeing you healthy is what mommy loves."

"I didn't mean to make her sad," she says as tears form in her eyes. "Do you think she still loves me?"

"Of course she does," I say as I pull her upright so she's sitting in my lap facing me. "She will never not love you. You're her favorite thing in the whole world, and she would do anything for you. You know that right?"

"Yeah, auntie Lucy said the same thing. I just don't want her to cry anymore."

"It'll get better, I promise you. Want to know what'll make her feel better today?"

Her eyes get wide and she wipes her tears, smiling up at me.

"Donuts. I think we should go to the store. Want to go with me? It'll be a secret mission."

Before she even responds she's off my lap and running to the door, trying to put her shoes on.