Chapter 21

Ava

    Just breathe.
  My chest rose rapidly as I stared at the wooden ceiling meanwhile, it got clearer with the dawning. Every heartbeat was a second closer to my freedom. My legs couldn't stop trembling when I finally climbed out of the bed in which I had slept all by myself. Last night Francesco stayed in the living room for several reasons and one of them was to clear his mind and recognize how stupid we were. I blame myself as well. Even though he felt uncertain of what had happened between us, he came to check up on me. Four times to be precise. I had the feeling that he wanted to say something. That tingle in my stomach which I call women intuition.
     And from what I sense now, I feel that I'm going to regret this. It's the environment that makes me feel so tense. The wind is strong at this time that seemed like the whole house was going to fall apart. I clench my hands into fists and after a couple of deep breathes and words of encouragement, I make my way out.
The dangerous part was to not make any sound. I felt grateful for the wind that made my footsteps less hearable but the beating of my heart didn't benefit the situation, it just made it worst. Once I got to the living room my eyes widened when I saw him sleeping.
It's okay...he's sleeping. He's sleeping. He can't hear you. He can't see you. You're safe...for now. Just hurry up.
    With my bare feet, I finally reached the door and to my surprise, it wasn't locked. It worried me the coldness because once I opened the door widely he might feel the breeze and might wake up.
Don't waste your time. Just leave!
     Slightly opening, I quickly passed through the small space I was holding to. Once I gently closed the door behind me, I looked around and I sighted in relief. Without hesitation, I began running in the opposite direction of the mansion and this house. Adrenaline ran through my veins and I felt the pressure on me. My legs began to burn but still kept going. Trees surrounded me and that was all. I didn't know where I was or where to go. I only wanted to go away.
My heart dropped when I heard footsteps. It sounded clear and firm and that's when I realized how close they were. The guards.
Shit.
    Distance was all that mattered and the time I had to hide from them.
"Ms. Mancini stop!"
No.
As I ran I looked behind and most of his guards ran behind me. The place was endless. I couldn't see the pavement so I could yell for help or any tree with low branches that I could climb with.
Suddenly, I felt hands in my arms and within seconds I fell on the ground when someone pushed me into the ground. Tears ran through my cheeks as fear began to burst through my chest. I fought as all of them picked me up, but they didn't flinch as I moved violently. What surprised me is that they were trying to carry me carefully and avoid to touch me inappropriately.
I turn my head sideways and saw the wood cabin. That's when I began to prepare myself for what I was going to face but that was before I realized they kept on walking.
Oh, God. He's waiting for me in the house.
I panted and tried again to release their hold but it was useless. That's when I finally stopped trying. Once we got into the house I saw the worried faces of the guards. Just a few of them looked concerned about me. All of them are afraid of Francesco, of the things he has done and might do.
I thought they were going to release me once we came inside but instead of taking me upstairs, they took me to the basement that now I'm finding out that there is one. My chest rose and fell with rapid breaths as they took me downstairs.

 The place was dark just like the rest of the house, but here, here the light of the sun wasn't seen

The place was dark just like the rest of the house, but here, here the light of the sun wasn't seen. I saw doors with different numbers and it scared me what might he have inside.
What is this place?!
One of the doors got unlocked and they seated me in one chair that was placed in the middle of the room. They tied my hands and feet with a rope and all of them left without saying anything else, not before I yelled, "Is it necessary?!"
The room was small but spacious at the same. Four grey walls and a chair. Nothing else.
I don't know how long I spent waiting for him but in the meantime, I tried multiple times to untie the knot. My whole body felt weak and my stomach began to growl.
How long will he keep me here? Maybe I'll die here, in a closed room with the same four walls I've been staring at my whole life.
I sigh.
The nerves were gone now. It was too late for him to finally visit and look at me with bitterness. He has been busy with other important things, he simply doesn't want to deal with me. Why would he?
My eyelids began to slowly close until I heard someone opening the door. My body tensed but I only rolled my eyes when I saw it wasn't him. It was one of his guards with some clothes in his hand.
"I brought some clothes, Ms. Mancini."
"Stop calling me that way, " I ordered.
The name Mancini disturbed me.
"Am I going to sleep here?" I asked surprised once I noticed it was a black nightgown.
He nods once and comes closer to untie the rope. As soon as he frees me I stretch my hands. I wanted to knock him over and run but that would just be suicidal. Besides, I feel way too tired.
"What if I don't want to change?" I curiously ask.
"You have to ma'am. If you don't follow our orders, we can't give you the food."
"You brought food?" My stomach growls again.
I forgot I haven't eaten.
He nods. "Boss gave the orders, " he assured in a lowered voice.
At least he won't let me starve here.
"Is he going to come?"
He remains silent and leaves the room for me to change. I stare at the dress as I take my clothes off, coldness rushing my skin, and finally, sliding it quickly through my body. Walking towards the door I knock and take a few steps behind after a maid comes in and leaves a small plate of pasta on the floor.
I laugh dryly when I realize it was the same pasta I cooked last night. It was the one that I left without touching in the kitchen.
"Motherfucker, " I whisper.
I am pretty sure this food is ruined because I left it outside the fridge the whole night, yet the bastard still served it on a new plate and gave it to me.
There's no fucking way I'm eating that.
Anger rushes through my veins and I through the plate into one of the walls.
"I'm not afraid of you asshole!" I yelled. "Fuck you!"
No respond.
Looking around hopelessly, I lay my back in the wall and slowly began to lower myself until I sit on the floor. I hugged my legs and pressed them tightly to my chest.

I began to cry cause I couldn't hold it anymore.