Bonus chapter

Kiara

       14 years later...

   Today was my eighteenth birthday and I had waited this long to receive my mother's birthday present that had been hidden for so long. My family was waiting for me downstairs but my adoptive dad wanted me to have it first before I went downstairs.
Emotion went through me as I finally saw it laying on my desk.
Taking a deep breath, I tucked my hair behind my ear and took a seat to finally read it privately in my room.

---------------------------------------------

"Dear Kiara,

Today we are going to attempt to give you a normal life like your father and I always wanted. Things might not get well in the end, but in case they do, I'm giving this letter to Matteo in case something happens to me. Somehow my gut told me he was going to take you out alive, no matter what cause he loves you. Both of you had a connection when he began to protect you, and I'm thankful for that.
For your eighteenth birthday, I wished I have given you more, but the idea of giving you your freedom seemed enough for me. And I hope you see the value in it. That's why I hope for you to get out of the house, and live to the fullest. Make your friends. Love your new family. Fall in love many times, not only with boys but of places I wished I had visited. And create yourself. Know what exactly are the things that you want.
You have to be like your parents. Smart and beautiful like your mother. And strong and heartwarming like your father.

Live without limits your normal life. Something your father and I always wanted at your age. But hoping that you do have it...it made it all worth it at the end.

Love you, Angel.
-Your mom.
Ava.

-----------------------------------------

       "Kiara?"
  I hear the cracking of my door and I quickly cover my tearful and red face from him.
      He realizes and comes over to hug me.
         "I miss them, " I sob. And he lets me cry hard as I ever cried until I finally calm myself.
         "Thank you," I hiccuped.
      He looks at me confused. "For what?"
          "For saving me...for adopting..." I shrug. "For everything."
          "It's my pleasure to have you like a daughter Kiara. You don't need to thank me for that."
     He smiles and I hug him again.
          "Is everything fine?" Uncle Lily says worriedly as she comes into my room with her newborn baby.
      I give her a shy smile and nod.
           "Come on, everyone is waiting!" she said sweetly.
            "I just need a minute alone. I'll just finish to fix my hair."
      Both nod and as soon as they leave I sigh in despair and fold my mom's letter again.
           "Are you okay?"
       I lift my gaze to my mirror and notice Leo standing behind me with a worried look. I hadn't seen him in a long time since I was sixteen when he confessed his feelings towards me before he left for college again. He had turned twenty-two four months ago, and his masculine features were more noticeable. But his flirtatious gaze and smirk remain in him as always.
          "Yes," I said firmly. I closed my cabinet and turned to look at him.
       He came closer and my stomach twirled.
          "You cried that means you are not fine."
          "Is nothing to worry about." I shyly smile.
    He nods and lowers his head.
          "What are you hiding behind?" I finally say humourlessly.
          "Your present."
      A spark travels in my chest.
          "A present?"
       His eyes remained in mine and he drew closer to give a small black box to me. He nodded at it as a sign for me to open it and so I did.
          My tears blurred when I saw a collar with the name 'Angel' on it.
        "You told me once your parents called you that way. And I know you miss—"
      I interrupted him by jumping forward to hug him.
         "Thank you!"
    He slowly places his hands on my hips and feels how he brings me closer to him. The sensation made my heart thump loudly that I was scared that he could sense it.
       I finally realize I kept hugging him for a long time now and took a step backward to give each other distance.
        "Umm—"
    He smiled at my nervousness and added, "Should we go downstairs now?" 
        I nod and walked outside first.
    We remained silent and exchanged glances until we found ourselves in the living room with everyone.
       William and Fanny hugged me first, especially Fanny who filled me with kisses all over my face.
       "Happy Birthday Kiara!" My grandpa shortly but I went forward to hug him as well, which surprised him at the end by my affection.
       Uncle Domenico and Sir. Salvatore came forward and congratulated me as well, but Domenico then glared at Leo when he tried to come closer to me.
     I laughed at it.
      Dad's friends came next. Evelyn and Alessio, the spontaneous couple that kept giving me expensive gifts. And last but not least Charlotte and Noah. They loved when I came to visit them.
         "You look beautiful," Charlotte whispered in my ear as I hugged her.
        "Thank you!"
      And then came my best friend. Mia.
Even though she was older than me, we felt like we had the same age.
She screamed in excitement and rushed to hug me, making me almost fall.
        "Delight us with the song that chose," Dad announced, making everyone focus on him and fall silent.
Every birthday I happily sang for my parents, supposedly dad said they loved music, and that's why I did. To celebrate another year of having a normal life thanks to them.
I walked towards the piano and sat carefully, as my eyes caressed the tiles gently before starting.

(disclaim: click on the song above)

'I remember springtime,
I remember when it rain...'

'The happiness and pain...'

'I remember you but I can't remember love...'

'I remember as a child...you'

THE END

.