Chapter 39

Ava

      Kiara now was taking her new steps and Francesco and I couldn't stop smiling at her. She had grown a lot and she was the only one that avoided us going crazy or fighting because every time we did, she cried out loud. Terribly.
      Her eyes were blue just like his father. And her skin and hair were just like mine. A true mix honestly. She was beautiful.
      But every time she finally got to sleep again, I stayed awake with Francesco, each one on the opposite side of the room. Even though we fought most of the time, I craved for his touch. A kiss perhaps. But he stated clearly that if I had another baby it was only going to worsened things.
     And he isn't wrong about that but he shouldn't distance himself. Avoid all contact.
       I tried a few times but when he rejected me, I got angrier and we ended up fighting until a few times he cornered me and I could finally feel his warming and claiming touch in my hands or his breathing in my neck.
      And I knew he wanted to, but he was the stronger of both cause the thought of his father and the way we lived, always popped in his head. It was until we heard footsteps on the stairs that we got towards Kiara and stood beside each other proudly.
        "Where's Kiara?" my father asked in a pleased and delighted way.
        "She's asleep, " we answered at the same time.
      Alfonso's glance went throughout the whole room until it ended on us.  "Good. It's time to finally go upstairs."
         "She's not going anywhere without us, " Francesco threatened.
         "Oh do not think about me that mistakenly. I'm not that monster."
     Francesco and I exchanged looks in a way that we knew we should not trust him at all but it was the only way to go upstairs.
        "What exactly do you want?" Francisco continued.
          "I just want time with my niece." He smiled and finally said, "Shall we?"
       I swallowed harshly and went to grab gently Kiara so she wouldn't wake up. Alfonso stepped aside and let me go first, followed by Francesco. My hands shook with excitement after being a whole year and a few months down there.
      I hugged tighter Kiara when we passed a few guards who waited for us upstairs. I feared being tricked once we got here but there was no catch, cause Alfonso, guided us upstairs to our rooms.
      I couldn't hide my smile when I saw all the colors of the furniture and the sun coming through the many windows in the hallway, and I knew Francesco felt it too. I glanced at him a few times for assuredness that he was near me and when he was, I felt safer.
        "This is Kiara's room, " Alfonso said as he opened a white door, for us to come inside and see the beautiful prepared bedroom for her. It was mostly purple and had a lot of toys, expensive furniture, candies, and a huge bed that she would use when she's older. But it terrified me that he thought about it. Causing I want to be gone from here the sooner. I don't want her to grow behind these walls with these men that could do anything to her.
       "Leave her here."
       "Alone?"
       "Of course. She must have now her own room now."
     I clench my jaw and take a step back but hit Francesco's chest. I look up at him and he sees my fear.
        "Don't worry, your room is in front of hers. And even if you still don't want to let her here, then there's the basement in where I can return you whenever I want if you don't obey my orders, " Alfonso said calmly.
       I glared at him and exchanged an odious look as I went forward and laid her on the bed, surrounding her with pillows.
       I covered myself with my hands once he felt pleased with my decision. Adrenaline went through my veins at the merciless words he said. All I wanted was to kill him right now, just like his actions did to me.
      "Both shall be at dinner once she's asleep again." He turns at me. "Wear the same red dress you wore when I brought you here."
       My heart pounded so fast I knew Francesco could hear it. He felt the same ire and bitterness as I did. We wanted to kill him and at least that was the goal that has kept us together for so long.  
       Once we went to the other huge room, we closed our doors and remained unmovable. I wanted to say something but I couldn't. I didn't even know if he wanted to talk to me.
     Francesco only looked bothered. And all he did was ignore me and search for a knife or a gun that he probably hid many years ago.
       "Stay here, " he said once he gave me a small knife and left.
Stay here? That's all he got to say?
        Ignoring all my thoughts and bitter feelings, I went straight to the shower to take a long hot bath in which I took advantage of to cry for everything. Every single thing that has happened.
    It was until then when I realized that I was in a men's world. Place. Room. I needed to be strong and protect my daughter all I could. I was tired of men seeing me weak. So vulnerable. And I had to wear a mask to hide it.
    To hide all the fear. And act like a pretty fool that is truly dangerous if someone she loved was hurt.
        And so I did when dinner came. I wore what Alfonso asked, and apply a bit of makeup to hide my under bags that represented my tiredness of being a mother.
      Once I came out of the bathroom, that's when after many months, Francesco looked at me again. He had the same look when he first fell in love with me but this time he was the one who was going to suffer because I wasn't going to give him anything tonight. I opened the door to leave and he followed. Before leaving, I checked Kiara to see if she was still asleep when I went to feed her and played endlessly so she could sleep deeply tonight.
      Her eyes were still closed and her breathing was so calm that it made me smile.
        Giving her a soft kiss on her forehead I made my way outside to go for dinner.
      We headed to the main room and I felt sparks when Francesco pulled me into him, his hand leaving a burning touch in my waist that I hated.
Ignore the feeling. Ignore it.
       As we entered, the whole dining table for twelve people was full. All of his best men were going to each with us.   
Wasn't dinner only with Alfonso? Only the three of us?
      All men stopped talking and faced me. Everyone devouring me with their own eyes and glancing at Francesco with vicious yet scary stares.
       We noticed two empty chairs in the middle so we went forward as Alfonso looked at me pleased for wearing the dress he asked.
         "You look beautiful Ava. Red does suit you."
I look at him and try to smile. "Thank you Alfonso."
But once I sat down, my smile faded. My heart skipped a bit. And my whole body tensed at the person sitting right in front of me.

Matteo.