Chapter 6

Francesco

   "Umm, I'll leave now." She takes a few steps. "I'm sorry I invaded your privacy. Goodnight."
    She left the room, and her fresh scent was left behind. Ava Collin.
The princess locked in her castle. I always look at her that way. And it may be cause of the way I used to observe her. Few years ago, my father gave me thousands of tasks to prove I was worthy of being his son. But it was also, to bring the man in me. To win the respect of his own men.
I knew being his son meant I was exposed to danger and that I'll need to defend myself. It was obvious to everyone since the day I was born. Even though I was obliged to fight and flinched when I saw others do so, I had to pretend I wasn't bothered by it. I had to pretend that I fear nothing, even though everything terrified me. Especially my father.
The days when things got complicated or not like they were supposed to go, were the worst because it meant he needed to take his fury in someone else. Being in my position, meant I was treated like one of those men around their twenties even though I was fifteen. Yet, if it wasn't for my mother, I would have been just like them. Just like him.
A motherfucking bastard who doesn't give a shit about anything.
When I told Ava that we hide things from our parents, I was confessing the hate I have for him and all the things he has done. Yes, I may not be a monster like them, but that doesn't I'm not better than them. I've also killed for pleasure. I remember killing a man that dared to touch my mother inappropriately, saying that my father had gave him permission to. But deeply I knew my father was doing that on purpose. To see how I was going to react. To see If I was going to be able to stop him before he went further with her. And I didn't disappoint him at all because I sliced that man's throat when I was fourteen. For months, I felt guilty about the blood in my hands. I cried because I knew it wasn't good, but I felt I was obliged to and I wanted to. Those thoughts were then burden because it was evident that I was going to do it again. I'll have to do it again.
       I remain seated and busy until it was two in the morning, where the sky hadn't altered his colors. I walked through the halls and decided to see her. I wanted to make her believe that I wasn't around for the whole week because I wanted to give her the space she needs. I'm not being nice because I feel interested in her. Make no mistake, I have no feelings for her at all, except guilt. I pity her because of what happened that night when they took her away. Yes, I was there watching. Watching like a coward that couldn't do anything about it. My father knew I didn't like seeing or getting involved when girls were kidnapped. It was too much to handle for me. And I did once and helped the girl to escape which was later brought to consequence, giving me the beating of my life by other men.
But this time I requested to go. Surprisingly, my father smiled because it meant I was finally getting into the business when in reality it was to help him. Ava's father. I knew about the story where he had fallen in love with the same woman that my father loved. She was the only one he has ever loved, not even my own mother.
     Liam was one of the best friends or colleague, however, you call it, my father had. He was the only one who in reality got humanity. He wasn't here because he wanted to. He was here because he owed it to my father, who once saved his life. Louis only killed when he had to, but it was rare when he did it. He was only here because he was an exceptional negotiator. He was a very intelligent and talented man. He would have been a great businessman if he had his own company, or perhaps an architect, he loved drawing and observed everything in detail. Including mathematics. That's how he was able to escape. He knew the house too well. The places were no guard secured, halls that didn't have camera, and shortcuts where they were going to use.
       I remember him, teaching me all those strategies when I asked him to. But also walking away with me when my father got drunk and fucked other women in front of me. He changed of topic when we were alone, like what were my dreams as a little boy. He talked and laughed, making me forget about the illegal life I was living. He made me believed that one day I could have a normal one if I wanted to, and that he could help me in the future to do so. But never did when he left years ago.
     He was a good man who also dreamed and wanted the same thing he offered me. And for that I admire him. I came that night to help him escape with the women my father once loved, but never knew he had a daughter that would change my whole plan. That's why when I saw the fear in his eyes when they took his daughter away, I decided to act. Little does Ava know that I was the man who shot one of my father's best guards for her to escape. And when one of Louis guards raised his gun, it was the perfect chance to make her believe it was me. I didn't want any witnesses or her to believe that I'm a good man, because I'm not. Unfortunately, when I asked my father to let me carry the mission of his revenge he went against it.
     He only said, "I only let you come here, so you could see what happens when someone betrays you. And you shall do the same if it happens to you some time." Since then, I never heard of them again.
      I slowly opened the door, and watched Ava sleeping peacefully on the bed. I slowly got closer and listened to her calm breathing and remained this way for a short time, admiring her beauty. Ava was beautiful and had a strong attitude that made her really attracted to me, but a man like me doesn't deserve to have a women like her. She deserves a normal life. That's why I don't like spending time with her because I may catch feelings, and that would put her into more danger because if I do, there's no way I can let her go. I'm relieved that it hasn't happened, and it must remain that way. Yet sometimes I'm curious and want to dig deeper into that soul and see again those eyes full of hatred but with a slight sympathy she gives when she looks at me.
     Looking at her one last time, I turn around and leave.

A normal life, huh.