Chapter 51

Ava

        The pain going through my body wasn't worse than the one I felt in my heart. I cried every day in the two weeks that went by.
        I blamed myself.
    Not for speaking up cause even though I didn't, I knew I was going to get beaten for what I did.
      Days ago when Francesco still couldn't walk around the house, I spent most of my nights thinking about what kind of plan was he making and what was taking him so long.
   The way he kept it private infuriated me. And I finally got tired of it. So if he wasn't going to take action, I was going to.
        I didn't want to wait anymore. 
       It took me around four nights to seek where to go, and it was easy cause having Kiara at my side, Matteo, and another guard behind me, I could easily go to every room I wanted in the house and the garden. Even during midnight when all the men got back to their meeting on Friday's in a faraway room, I walked barefoot to observe the two guards left on the main door to protect the house. Both stood there talking for hours as they shared a bottle of liquor that made them drunk a bit, cause they began to laugh when they lost their balance. And I watched them every day to see if they did the same. And surprisingly they did.
       My relief was on the cameras. Alfonso didn't like them that's why he paid on more guards than those 'shitting' things as he calls them. So I began counting and remembering the time when a guard flew through our hall as an inspection. How many of them were at day and during the night. And every twelve minutes they did their check-up.
      Finally, how was I going to get through the other guards outside and climb the boundaries? I needed to be quick and dig a hole from the back of the house days before our escape.
       That's when I convinced Kiara that she had to ask her grandpa for a shovel to dig holes in the garden and bury easter eggs as he had watched on a TV show.
       And how was Alfonso going to say no to her?
    When he did, I hid a knife, a gun that Francesco kept in the bathroom that he found months ago, a sweater for her, and easter eggs his grandfather also bought her inside Kiara's bag which of course I carried. When I dig the whole and the other men kept to distance to talk, I dug a deeper hole to hide the knife and the gun, and after placing soil to cover both weapons, I finally placed the sweater and the Easter eggs on top, to cover then again with more soil.
    So in case, someone else wants to find what we hid in the hole, they were not going to suspect that below the eggs there are guns. And so we did with the rest of the hole, only that the others only had colorful eggs below them.
      The day ended when we did the last hole near the boundary so when the time comes, we could slide below it.
       I wanted so much to tell Francesco about it but I didn't. Not because of revenge for him not telling me about his plans, but because I know he wasn't going to tell me to do this. He was going to go against us. Or do something else that might get him involved and he is not in a condition of even moving with his injured leg.
        I planned to take Kiara away but I couldn't leave her alone in the world either leave Francesco in this hell by himself. But there was a difference. Kiara is a child.
    And I know Francesco will look for us then. I know he was going to. And leaving him with Matteo was a relief. I knew both could help each other to escape.

--------------------------

    When the night came, I dressed in a long-sleeve, jeans, and the only sneakers I had. Francesco didn't even felt when I placed a kiss on his cheek and didn't felt when the other nights I left cause I drugged him with his pills, cause if I hadn't he would even felt when I wasn't sleeping or not at his side.
      A few tears slipped from my eyes and whispered to him, "I love you."
     My breathing quickened and with a final look at him, I left and went towards Kiara's room.
       The guard was in his bathroom break which I had waited for the whole night. And even if he hadn't left I would have made another excuse of Kiara needing me. Cause I knew that when she heard my voice she was going to call me to go with her. It happened a lot of times when they didn't want to let me in when it was too late. All I had to do was to raise my voice for her to hear me.
      As soon as I came in she was already asleep with clothes I made her wear before I left for my room. I quickly lifted her in my arms and called her name to wake her up.
       "Mommy?"
       "Shhh—" I tapped her back as I left with her in my arms. She was heavy in my arms but I all cared about was to go to a safe place.
      I walked rapidly around the corner of the hall where no light was and finally placed her on her feet.
        "I need you to be quiet okay? Mommy is playing hide and seek with the others. And we are a team!" I whispered.
       She nodded with a smile.
          "We can't make any noise because if we do they will find us and we will lose the game, okay?"
          "Is daddy playing?" she tilts her head.
          "Yes. But he isn't on our team. He also needs to find us."
       She nods again.
Thank God she loves this game. I wouldn't know if she cried or go against me as other kids do.
        "Ready?"
        "Yes, Mommy."
       "Yes, Good girl, " I whispered with a shaking voice.
     I straightened and took her hand. We began walking in many hallways to be unnoticed by the guards, and gladly we hadn't crossed one. Once I glimpsed at the stairs I hid Kiara in one of the long heavy curtains.
        "Stay here. Mommy is going to hide somewhere else okay?"
        "Okay, Mommy." She smiles.
     I sigh and cover her enough for her to not see what I was about to do.
         I took off my belt and I stopped in shock when I saw the guards weren't there.
What???
       I stood at the door looking for them, worried that they might know about my plan. But that's when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned over and saw the two men looking at me confused and pure fury.
           "What are you—"
        That's when the adrenaline ran within me. One of them lifted me but I took ad ante of it and kicked the other with my feet causing him three of us to fall. Suddenly one of them got on top of me but I managed to stick my fingers on his eyes, making him groan in pain.
       "Bitch!" he yelled.
    The other punched me making me almost stumble but the next few moves I evaded each one of them. I quickly took a step forward and hit him in the throat.
        I picked my belt from the floor and began choking the other one. Hardly and fast as I could. But then he coughed when I was taken off of him.
The taller one slammed me into the wall, making me lose air. I quickly stood up and went towards him meanwhile the other recovered. He grabbed me and turned backward but With a lot of force I knocked him out with my elbow in his head. 
        "You are not going anywhere, " the left one spat.
        "Try me, " I said breathlessly.
    He went forward and I got a few hits from him as he did with me. My lings felt like they were going to come out of my chest as I maneuvered each move. His nose began to bleed and that's when I choked him again with my belt, this time without regret until he fell.
      My chest rose and fell with rapid breaths and I remained unmoved by the scene.
Assholes.
     I cleaned my loss and quickly went for Kiara. But my body froze when I saw who stood in from of her.
        "Mommy! He found me!" Kiara laughed as Erik smiled at her and then glanced at me.
        "Did we lost?" she smiled.
        "Kiara come here, " I nervously said.
   Erik smirks at me and offers Kiara his hand which she takes without hesitation.
      I swallow harshly. And as soon as he stands in front of me. I grab Kiara and place her behind me.
         "Such a mischievous woman." He grabs a lock of my hair and gets closer.
      I look away and jump when I feel his gun in my stomach.
          "Where do think you are going?"
       Tears blur my vision.
          Suddenly he points at my daughter with his gun.
           "Nowhere, " I finally say.
      He glances behind me.
           "You should get a good punishment after what you did to my men."
       I finally look at him with repulsion.
            "If you fucking dare to touch me or her I'll kill you."   
        He laughs. "Mmm, you've got his identical attitude, temperament I would say? It suits perfectly. More than when you used to be naive."
        He pauses. "At least that will motivate me for future circumstances." He backs away and hides his gun. "Boss will decide what to do with you. For now, go back to your fucking room."
     I quickly lift Kiara in my arms and leave.

   What have I done?

--------------------------------------

      Francesco sighs as soon as I finish telling him what actually happened nights ago. There was a look of regret and anger on his face but he just remained silent for a while to calm himself.
        "It doesn't matter anymore. I don't even care about escape now. I just want to kill them all, " I said emotionless. "They killed our baby. My parents. They threatened us both. They pointed at Kiara with a gun. I want them all dead."
       Suddenly I hear how he walks towards me. He bents down to lower our glances as I sit on the corner of the bed, but I keep a straight face to face him.
         "You are not like this. I'm supposed to be the bad one here and you the good one. I'm the monster and you're the angel."
         "I'm tired of being good. It's pointless."
         "What?"
         "Aren't you happy that now we are identical?" I tilt my head and touch his face. "Emotionless? Soulless?" His eyes widened. "They deserve to die. And there's no other way I want to do it than at your side."
         He remains silent but there's a spark of lust and desire at my words that he feels.
            "This is so wrong, " he says.
            "So? Destroying this would save many girls from being trafficked. I don't see anything wrong with that." I get close to his face. "And when did you care about doing wrong this?"
          He smirks. "Never."
      I smile and get closer.
             "What have I turned you to?" He whispers.
             "It wasn't you who turned me this way. It was the cruel world that changed our pure souls into ashes." I pause. "You only turned me into a fearless woman, my love."
       We slammed our lips and moaned at the feeling. The spark expanded throughout my body intensely, and the way we got closer as if we needed more, I knew we could feel each other's hearts sync beautifully.

Whatever our souls were turned to, it wasn't our fault but theirs. Even though they were fragile, I felt both were stronger together than when they were apart.

.