Chapter 24

Matteo

       I still can't understand how can everyone act so normal. I can't pretend that we are a happy family anymore.
Everyone acts like if she was never here. Like if nothing happened.
     Every seat on the table was occupied, and they all seemed so unbothered for my emotionless and blank stare. From time to time, Noah gave me a look but didn't try to say anything. I had grown tired of his 'Everything will be fine' 'Don't worry, she's strong' 'Distract yourself...' and so on.
     "How many months does Leo have?" Charlotte asks as she took a bite from her food.
"Nine months." Lily smiles. "But he looks like he's 1," she answers excitedly. Leo sleeps peacefully in her arms and I stare at him as my thoughts fill me.
      I can't blame them. Each one of them is on their own business. They have their own life with a fucked up past. Maybe that's why they liked Ava so much. She gave compassion and understanding. Too pure and good for us. For me.
      Suddenly Domenico cleared his throat and stood up, everyone quickly glancing at him. His hands trembled but he placed them inside his pant pockets to hide his nervousness. I exchange a confused look with him and when he returned a nod, I finally understood why all this dinner idea came up.
       "I'm...grateful for each one of you cause you all came even though I announced it til today." He clenched his jaw, and there was a bit of fear yet confidence at the same time in his tone. "The reason I called you, which I always do..." He said sarcastically and I rolled my eyes.
     "Get to the point," I exclaimed.
    Noah laughs. "Take your time Dom. No one is rushing you." He covers his mouth to avoid laughing again but fails until Charlotte glared at him.
       "As I was saying..." He warns me with a lower voice. "I wanted you to be present for this." Domenico takes a small blue box from his pocket and gets into one knee, making everyone else, except me, to gasp in surprise.
     Lily freezes and covers her mouth in amazement.
         "I guess it was always you. When we spent together as kids, when we liked each other for the first time, the first kiss...it was always you. And I'm sorry that I realized it until now."
    Realized it until now? How old does he think he is? 40? He's younger than me.
       There was a hint of devotion in his eyes and I bet I looked at her the same way when I proposed to her. The moment felt too reminiscing.
     Pain.
    I felt how pain spread throughout my chest at the memory. I hated the feeling but it reminded me that I'm not, and I won't be ever again, a cold motherfucker. She proved to me that love is too addicting and makes you stronger.
      But why do I feel weak?
     "I promise I'll take care of you. And him as if he was mine."
    Lily gasped and gave a nod, as tears fell through her cheeks. "Yes, " she whispered.
      Domenico sighed in relief and grabbed the ring to place it on her left hand. Charlotte cried and screamed with happiness, just like every woman in the room. The rest clapped at them and I couldn't hide the fact that I felt pleased to see them together. Being the third wheel when we spent time together, finall happened what I expected. They are meant to be together. And if they wanted to marry at this age, who am I to judge?
    Spending the rest of your life with your woman wasn't going to be easy. Even for Domenico. Nevertheless, of all the bad things that might happen I would always go back to her. Cause she would be my home.
     Making love to the same woman for your whole life used to make me think it wasn't worth it and that someday my dick was going to get bored. Yet, now that was the only thing that I wanted. My dick getting used to her wet pussy, and the moans that were only for me to hear, is way too fucking worth it.
     I was about to get everything I wanted but it was taken away too soon.
       "Congrats brother. I'm happy for you." I clapped Domenico back as I hugged him, even though he might feel how tense I was. "I'm sorry if—"
    I shook my head, taking a step back.  "Don't apologize. There is no need."
     He pressed his lips into a thin line with an expression that was easy to read. He wanted to say more. He knew this could hurt me but it was worth watching.
       "Are you sure you want to be bound to him?" I say humorously and no hesitation in her that said the opposite. She came closer and gave me a tight hug. "I love you, Matteo. You've always been a brother to me." She paused. "I'm always here if you want to talk about anything."
     I hugged her back, releasing some uncertainty in my body with nothing else to say. Salvatore and my dad came to congratulate both and that's when I walked away.
     As soon as I stepped outside I called Thomas so we could meet at a bar and numb myself from this misery.