Chapter 34

Francesco

       "Don't dare to leave me!" She screamed as she slammed her hands at the car window.
My heart ached when I realized she had fallen in love with me like I had. More than she could. She wanted me, not her freedom. Not her normal life. Not her chances of marrying someone else. Not being the woman she always wanted to be.
I saw through my rearview mirror how she stood behind until I lost her when I turned on a corner. My hands trembled and all I wanted to do was to return to her arms and stay with her. Promise her that now I'll be a good husband. But I can't. Even if I want to I can't.
And if loving her meant that I have to protect her and give her the things that she needs, then...I'll do it.
Maybe our hearts are broken, but they will remember that they once pulsed for that person. The person we loved and will always love.
Once I got back to my place, It didn't felt like home. The silence and the darkness began to terrify me and the feeling scared me. I never minded being alone all my life. I expected it because men like me don't deserve angels like her.
I went upstairs and checked her room. It looked Empty. Lifeless. Darker. For the first time in my life, I finally felt what being shot in the heart feels like. Feeling the world collapse. The hopelessness of never living again.
Walking towards her bed I lay down and urged myself to sleep. I needed the numbness in my body but the pain I felt meant she was real. She had finally made the devil feel something. Perhaps regret, love, hope?

I miss you, Angel.

...................................................................................

One month later...

"Did you take care of it?"
I nod. "I kill them both as you asked not before asking if they had the money."
My father sat there, looking at me in a judgemental way and always waiting for me to fail. Never I have until I didn't follow my father's orders of mistreating Ava. And I don't regret my decision.
"Good. What about—"
"Things are ready for the wedding that is taking place in three months. Erik actually slaughtered one of the men who killed his cousin. His name was Kaleb Owen. He was part of the northern mafia, known for their great income in fighting." 
       "They do have great fighters, " he said in disgust. "But I don't think that will last for long if we kill the last ones their capo used to teach. The poor bastard died from sickness a long time ago." He pauses and laughs bitterly. "I wish I could have killed him myself but...those are wishes that are too late to make come true." He tilts his head and smiles. "Off-topic...how are you doing with Ava?"
     My shoulders tense and there's a slight effect on me when he pronounces her name.
      "I'm done with her."
    His eyes widened and his face turned red but still kept control in his voice when he asked, "Done? What...what do you mean by done?"
      I swallow harshly but show no fear. "I killed her."
     Suddenly he slammed his hand on the table. "What the fuck have you done?! We needed her!"
      "For what?!" I yelled in return. I take two steps forward. "She won't fucking return to your life! Her mother didn't love you!"
      "I don't need her to love me. I just want her to pay for what she did!" His body shook in outrage at my reaction. "She ran away with my best friend. My right hand in command. My brother. It made me look weaker by the betrayal!" He walked towards me. "And you killing her daughter ruined everything!"
He threw a punch at my face that made me even angrier than before.
      He began suffocating me with his arm until I pushed my fingers into his eyes hard as I can. His grip loosened up and gave me a chance to kick him in the balls, making him fall to his knees. I turn my hand into a tight fist and directed it towards him with a lot of force that caused him to fall completely, but not long enough because he stood and looked at me like a fucking prey that he wanted to kill for so long.
      We fought until we broke a few bones from our ribs. It was Erik who came and stopped us before one killed the other.
      My father laid breathless on the floor and it made me realize that I almost killed him. He couldn't even stand as I did.
       "You almost killed him!" Erik announced worriedly.
   He deserves it.
      "Gladly, you came in time, " I said humorously.
   I turn around annoyed and began flinching at the pain in my ribs. Leaving the main room while judged and admired by the men who worked for my father, I returned to do my job of the day.
      Supervising, killing, and fighting...And making decisions. Just like a capo does.
     But this time I wanted to do things differently.
"As you know I'm still not a capo," I announced to my men, who stood proudly in front of me. "But you owe me your lives. Your souls." I walked from one side to the other. "You have worked for me way too long but you still struggle to prove your worth. Trust. Courage."
     They nod once.
Of course they know.
     "Anyone that has hit a woman take a step forward."
Six men out of the twenty followed my order without hesitation, exchanging glances with pride like if what they did was an achievement.
Fucking bastards.
"Alright, you'll be the ones who will fight with me first. One by one will take their turn. No mercy until one of us ends up dead, understood?"
Suddenly there was a hint of regret by their decision and I couldn't laugh louder. I took my shirt off and ran a hand through my hair before I got into position. Men began to surround the center, where I stood patiently waiting for my first opponent.
I knew most of them had touched a woman against their will but I can't kill them all. That's God's job, to make them pay for their sins. Just like I will someday.
I smiled when the taller one around my age came forward, looking at me with a tense yet serious look. He tried to look unfazed by the fight but I knew he was trembling with fear.
He takes a step forward but I hit his throat rapidly, causing him to gasp loudly. Men began yelling excitedly at us for each punch we achieved after that. Until I gave a harsh hit on his head, he finally fell dead on the floor and everyone went silent. The rest of my men cowered in front of me after realizing that I was dead serious about this fight.            
     And simply, that's how it went.
Me killing the six of them.
One by one.
I didn't felt regret or empathy. No. Somehow I felt unemotional. Though deeper in my heart, if I have one, I knew anger was the only feeling that could replace the love that was taken from me. And it pleases me in a useful way.

Who am I? Who am I becoming now?