Chapter 42

Ava

The next following days felt like a mixture of feelings and patterns. Most of the time I spent time with Kiara around the house but our favorite seemed to be the wide living room with walls filled with books surrounding us, the brown couches, and the silence since it was the only room where no one used at all. They called it antique because of the tragic old smell of the books, which personally was the thing that I loved the most.
It reminded me of home.
And sometimes I even forgot I was here, at this house, cause I expected my mother to come and tell me that lunch is ready or that it was time for my math lesson.
No one came of course meanwhile I waited, cause Alfonso gave that to his niece. Privacy, freedom, and protection. And she can't have that if there isn't her mother at her side.
Honestly, Alfonso scared me. He hadn't gotten close to her after we came upstairs to live, but he was sure to be in the future when she's able to speak for herself.
I hadn't got the opportunity to talk to Francesco about the escape plan since he always comes very late I don't why. But I didn't even dare to ask either way.
Suddenly I heard footsteps coming towards this room, and at the beginning, I thought of Francesco or Alfonso but I was wrong. Once my eyes saw the black brilliant shoes, and traced upward, I froze.
"I'm sorry."
Those were the only words he said to make me feel shaky and uncertain. How's that possible?
"It wasn't your fault, " I whispered, fearing that someone might notice us talking.
He remained silent for a while before he finally took another step forward. That's when I noticed how he got stronger, by the way, his black shirt fitted him. The scars in his arms and a small one on his chin. Including the new tattoo in his hand that symbolized that the famgilia owned him.
Francesco had the same one. The small arrow with blood in it. Only that Matteo's arrow did not have the blood in it yet.
"Did he forced you to marry him?" He asked with a troubled yet hurtful face.
I shake my head. "We had to marry...wait, how did you find me?"
His expression softens. "I...I was forced to be here due to my actions." He clenches his jaw and glances at Kiara who is still playing on the ground with her purple toys. "I tried to find you." He looks at me again.
My heart skips a beat.
"You did?" I react surprised.
He takes another step forward, leaving less space between us. My eyes widened at the closeness.
"Of course I did, " he reassured but then he lowered his head. "I'll admit that I lost hope after a year. And then Kaleb got shot, Lily got threatened and—"
I tensed. "Is she okay? Who threatened her?"
"I..."
Before he could explain, we heard another footsteps, and that's when our gazes spoke for us. With one simple nod, he quickly left and I sat down to pretened that I have been playing with my daughter all this time.
My body trembled with fear, as soon as the footsteps slowed and stepped inside.
"Boss is asking if Kiara needs something. Perhaps food, toys..." one of his guards said while he glared at us.
    He seemed annoyed that he had to be watching us or giving us everything that we needed, and I don't blame him, I would rather I have my privacy and be able to get the things I want by myself.
         "We don't need anything thank you, " I said interrupting him.
       He glanced at my daughter and finally left us alone. And once he did, I kept thinking of Matteo's words. The way he said them. The way he looked...so different.
       After that day, I came to the same hour. Waiting for him cause that all I needed.
    I needed to talk to him because I have so many questions that I need him to clarify. Disappointingly, he never came again. Maybe he feared that they would find us cause Alfonso's orders were clear to all of his men: to never bother us, speak, unless is needed.
        All of them didn't question his orders. They just obeyed. And when I was there to listen and watch, all of them, including Matteo, became robots. Their expressions matched, their firm steps, quick walking, and their 'never letting their guard down'.
       Francesco even went to those announcements, but after it, he disappeared and I never got to see him until bedtime.
      Tonight I decided to sleep, here again, cause a few nights ago, Kiara has been crying endlessly, so I've been sleeping in her room since then. But Francesco didn't even mind cause he came so late, and didn't even check on us or said a word to me.
      The thought brought a certain pain in my insides that tears began to fall slowly, caressing my cheek gently until they fell on the pillow, the same one that has soaked many of my past tears. I felt empty and unsettled for many reasons. I can't eat. Or sleep well because is our relationship that has gotten me this way.
       We used to talk until we exchanged our feelings, laugh until we forgot of our trauma and problems, make out until we ended both naked, wanting more of the other. We used to be there for each other.
      Raising my hand, I swept my tears and decided to look for him. There weren't any guards at the halls at midnight cause most of them went to strip clubs or to darker stuff. The only guards left were the ones outside, so that was an advantage for me.