Chapter 1

Matteo

"It's an honor to be standing in front of talented, hardworking, and admiring people that have given everything to be where they are now. Most of you didn't know me until now, and I believe each one has a different impression of me. Or questioning how am I up here. Well, I couldn't reject the privilege of introducing to you a man who is the best leader I've ever met. He faces his problems without questioning what he's capable of. He's someone confident and perseverant who doesn't care about others' opinions, except for his because he knows what he deserves because henhas learned through time how valuable time and effort is. He understands the importance of having a good attitude through good and worst moments. And I can assure everything because he's not a man of promises but actions. And for that I admire him.

I'll like to call my redeemer, lover, friend to the stage..."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I hold her speech and gently fold it so I can read it over and over again. Every time I read it, is the only thing that keeps me kept together to every miserable day I'm not with her. One week feels like an eternity and the thought of what might they be doing to her makes my dark side surge and think about the things I will do to Alfonso once I find him. Suddenly my thoughts get interrupted by the loud heels echoing inside my office.  
     "You look like shit."
    I lift my gaze and see Evelyn looking at me surprised. She uses the same high ponytail and her favorite expensive white dress that covers her chest and reveals her long legs way too much. Now that I see her again, she can't be compared to Ava's beauty. Her curves don't excite me anymore and I can't see her as something else than a friend. I wouldn't call her that yet. I don't even know what she's doing here. All I know is that the only thing that she cares about is herself.
      "And I don't give a shit about your opinion of how I look, " I said annoyed.
     She laughs. "Looks like someone is in a bad mood."
      "Good, now you know I don't want to be pissed off."
      She rolls her eyes. "You don't need to be an asshole all the time."
        "He has the right to be."
    Alessio.
He wears a black suit similar to mine and walks with his hands inside his pant pockets. He looks at me as if we are best pals and then devours Evelyn with his hungry eyes. No wonder these two will end together. They might be stubborn but they are smart at their moves. I've seen them work and negotiate in person. They use their features to convince others, and they love to threaten people if they don't accept their terms.
I doubt Evelyn hanging out with someone of the mafia. That's not a life for her neither for Ava. Ava is too innocent and pure for that.
       "Who are you?" Evelyn eyes him and tilts her head to one side.
        "You are safer if you don't know my name, sweetheart," Alessio smirks. "Shouldn't you be shopping and doing useless things?"
       "Oh so you are going to be an asshole too?"
"Is not because I want to. Is because that's how I am."
I sigh. "Are you two done?" I stand up and walk towards the table of liquor.
I look at Evelyn. "I'm not hooking up with you—" My gaze goes to Alessio. "And I'm not joining the mafia."
"Do you fucking think I want that?"
I take a sip of my whiskey and face her. "And what do you want?"
"I want to help you find her, " she firmly says.
"Find her? Didn't you hate her?"
She clenches her jaw. "She...she helped Matteo. She could have left me, and she had the right to. But she didn't, and for that I owe her." She walks towards me and looks me straight in the eye. "I could be suffering who knows where, but instead she's the one taking all the pain. As a woman, I know what she might be going through. And I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing this for her! So stop being a fucking asshole and let me help. You know I have my contacts that could help you."
"As much as I will like your help is better to keep you out of this. You don't know what you getting yourself into."
"Clearly she doesn't know, " Alessio adds. "Listen to me." He serves himself a cup of whiskey and takes a sip. "You don't have to join anything. Your identity will be hidden while we try to look for her. She needs your help." He gets closer to us. "You don't know what Alfonso is capable of. He might involve Ava into his business and once he does, we might not be able to find her again. So, we must take advantage of our fucking time and start working."
I look at him and I know deeply he's hiding something from me. Gladly I'm one step ahead and asked William to do the research for me.
        "I can cover up my identity as well," Evelyn says as she crosses her arms.
        "Sweetheart, you are going to get yourself in danger. Let the men do the dirty work."
        "I'm not your sweetheart, and I'm not asking for your permission." She looks at me. "I'll see you tomorrow." She turns around and we see her walk away.
        "You won't let her, right?"
    I drink my whole whiskey in one gulp and shrug. "Believe me, she gets everything her way even if I avoid her to. She's just as powerful as us." I clear my throat. "And as much as I hate the idea, there's no other way to find her. But I'll work with you on two conditions, I'll torture Alfonso by myself—"
       "You won't kill him?" He tilts an eyebrow looking at me confused. "Because I would if I was you."
       I turn around. "I don't want to kill anyone, you know I can't bear with the guilt."
       I see how he seats on my black chair and shakes his head. "Eventually you will have to, Matteo. And you know that. But if that's what you want I don't have any problem by doing all the dirty work." He smiles.
       "And one more thing."
    I walk and sit on the couch in front of him.
"You will truly hide the three identities: Ava, Evelyn and mine. I don't want anyone getting near my family, understood?"
       "Only if we truly find Alfonso, I will keep my promise, bud."
      "We will, don't worry."

We will fucking find him. He will lead me to her.
He will lead me to Ava.

Hold on Mio Fiore, I'm coming for you.