Chapter One

Man In The Tank

It's weird to think that life turned out like this. The dead walking, people turning on each other, never being able to have a moment's rest.

But that's my life.

We run. We hide. We fight.

It never ends.

Sometimes I sit and wonder what life would've been like if the apocalypse hadn't hit.

Would I have been one of those women running around an office, tired of the sexist comments from workers and despising my boss? Or would I have been a famous actress, a singer, a celebrity?

Guess we'll never know.

____

The way I see it, this guy has 2 options.

Stay in the tank,

Or,

Stay in the tank.

I lied, this guy is fucked.

The wind drowned out some of the groans from below, but it was still plainly obvious that there was a swarm of walkers down on the street.

I was perched on the building left of the tank, my assault rifle by my side as I debate what to do.

Do I help him? Is it worth it? I mean, the walkers are there and distracted, but after, where do we go? But I can't just leave him there.

Ah, fuck my damn moral compass.

I grab my gun and an empty glass bottle, ready to swing down the fire escape when my walkie-talkie crackled.

"Hey, you. Dumb ass." A man's voice came through, quiet but clear.

Is he talking to me? 'Dumb ass', who does he think he-

"Hey, you in the tank. Cozy in there?"

Oh. Not me, the actual dumb ass in the tank.

I grab my walkie and go to reply when the man speaks again.

"Hey, are you alive in there?"

I put down my gun and walk to the edge of the building, bringing my binoculars to my eyes and surveying the area around the tank for any signs of a person, namely the person on the radio.

While I had no luck finding him, I did spot the odd 2 people on the roof, a redneck with a rifle and a guy with binoculars like me.

"Hello? Hello?" A southern accent - most likely the man in the tank - came through the walkie and startled me, making me look back towards the device in my hand.

I decided to listen in for now and see how these guys wanted this to play out, so I grabbed my binoculars and looked back down at the tank to see some of the walkers get distracted by other things - mostly the poor horse - and make a gap through to the street.