Chapter Four

Searching For Home

It had been a while since the incident with Merle and T-dog.

We were looking down at the street below, walkers swarming every inch of the tarmac. It was like an MCR concert down there.

It was relatively quiet, other than the groaning of the dead.

I looked over the group and my eyes landed on the woman that flipped off Merle, and I realised that I had yet to know her name.

Making my way over to her, I tap her shoulder and she turns her head to me and smiles.

"What's up?" She tilts her head.

"I just thought I'd introduce myself properly," I smile back at her kindly. The others in the group turn to me at this. "I still don't know your name."

The group seemed to create a semi-circle, liking the fact that they had something to distract them. Even Merle was watching, listening silently from the side.

"I'm Megan Townsend. But last names don't go far these days I guess." They all chuckled at that.

"Just call me Meg." I waved, a small smile on my face. "I came here on holiday with my best friend, but I guess I got more than I bargained for."

Andrea looked at me weirdly as I finish my sentence.

"So where are they?" She looks around in confusion. "Why are you here and not with them?"

The way she phrased it made it seem like she was sceptical, as if I was lying. She does realise that people die and turn every day, right?

"I lost her." I faltered. I still hadn't come to terms with it.

"We were holed up in a building a few blocks away. After a week or so, I went on a run, and when I got back she was gone." I looked away quietly, I wasn't going to cry. Not here, not in front of these people I had just met.

"I was gone for barely two hours, but when I got back the door was broken, there was blood everywhere and her stuff was gone. I never found her, alive or dead." I shrugged, playing it off.

"Or undead." I added.

The looks they gave made me uncomfortable, and I think Rick realised as he spoke up.

"I'm Rick. I was a sheriff back home." He started, and I gave him a thankful glance.

"Wait," I smiled, "you were actually a cop? I thought you were in cosplay or something."

He shook his head and laughed, beaming at me with his pearly whites.

Yep. He was definitely crowned 'Most Handsome'.

He told us that he was looking for his family, and that he would stop at nothing to find them.

I felt kind of bad. There was probably no way he would find his family, and it hurt my heart to know that.

After Rick finished introducing himself, I turned to the woman.

"So, in all this kerfuffle I never got your name."