Chapter 13

Back To Atlanta

My excuse for wanting to go back - because I didn't want to admit that I felt horrible for leaving Merle and even worse for Daryl - was that I had to get my bag and gun. Nobody had asked me yet, but that would probably be my cover-up if they did.

Rick and Shane talk about walkie-talkies and CBs and shit before the conversation comes to a close, with Rick asking Carl if he was okay with him going on this search and rescue run.

I pat Glenn on the chest as he sulks, clearly upset about being wrapped up in all of this.

"Stop moping, you big baby." I joke, beginning to walk to the tent. "It'll be fine. You get to hang out with your best friend!"

"Who, Dixon?" He guffaws, his hands on his hips.

"No, me." I beamed back at him as his face splits into a grin, turning and heading for the cube van.

I get to the tent and reach inside, grabbing my pistol and my jacket.

Did I need this jacket? No, I was sweating my tits off. But it had my cigs in it and I hadn't had one today, and I wanted one. I hadn't even eaten.

Let's hope they let me have one in the van.

As I zip up the tent, I see Rick holding a pair of bolt cutters while chatting to Dale and Jim. I trudge over, attaching the holster to my hip as I reach them and hear Rick bartering with the other two men.

As he 'seals the deal', a deafening bellow echoes from the van, and I turn to see Daryl digging his boot into the horn.

"Come on, let's go!" He barks, before clambering into the back.

I nod to Dale and Jim as I pass, climbing into the back as Shane approaches Rick.

Glenn sat in the driver's seat, so I jump at the chance to nick the passenger seat before Rick could.

"Hello there, Mr Rhee." I snicker, a London accent covering my words as I knock his cap off centre before taking it for myself.

He snorts as I plop into the seat, reaching to take the hat back.

"Hey, hands off mister!" I scold, raising my eyebrows in mock offence. "How dare you steal from a lady."

"I'm not stealing from a lady," he chirps back, grabbing the hat from my head and repositioning it on his head. "You're far from one, so really, I'm taking my hat back from a dude."

I fake a gasp, hand over my heart.

"Wow Glenn, and to think I loved you."

His face screws up and he lets out a high-pitched noise of disgust, slapping my arm as I grin.

It was weird, I'd only known Glenn for a day and a half, but if anything happened to him I'd track down and kill anyone who hurt him. I already
felt like we were close. I mean, I wouldn't date him, he's cute, but he's already like a brother to me.

Look at that, I have a little found family. Weird older brother Rick from Kentucky (he mentioned 'king country' or smt), and weird, Asian younger - I think - brother Glenn.