Chapter 20

[A/N: This Chapter is one I'm half making up, half taking from a deleted scene. I accidentally info-dumped a bunch of horror film trope stuff and can't be bothered to get rid of it since I wrote so much. Literally wrote the opening scene of a horror film I remember exactly, then went and rewatched the scene to check I got it right. Had to change a few things that I miswrote but meh. You can skip it if you want,]

Last Call

-Previously-

We had no destination in mind as we peeled down the streets of Atlanta, one member down, and a glimmer of hope snuffed out.

All we had now was a chance.

---

We drove aimlessly down the roads of Atlanta, looking desperately for a place to stay. I had curled up against the truck door as Daryl followed behind the RV, and watched as shops and buildings passed by slowly. We couldn't speed up, there were too many obstacles on the road, from buildings and bodies alike.

I found myself scanning the bodies, looking for a black-haired woman among the fallen. Maybe if I looked close enough, I might find the corpse of my best friend.

A morbid thought indeed.

Her hair wasn't naturally black, but she had dyed it black a few weeks before we'd come to America, and at most, there would be faint blonde roots showing from her scalp.

But none of the bodies matched her description.

So maybe I'd find her up and about, dead or alive.

---

We had been driving for a while before I was pulled from my thoughts by Daryl honking the horn and screaming at something. I turned forward to see the RV swerving from a massive group of walkers circling a body, and the door opened up to Glenn, who yanked said body into the RV.

"Who was that?" I lean forward in my seat to try and get a better view, but all I see is the pack of walkers skim by the window as we speed by in an attempt to both catch up with the RV and avoid becoming their next meal.

"Damn sonovabitch was out of the RV, had that bag of guns 'n everything." Daryl drawls, following the RV again. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye as I looked at him in confusion. "Shane was almost walker chow."

"Ah," I replied, then whispered to myself, "Shame."

Then silence settled over us once more as we followed behind the RV. Eventually, I began to recognise my surroundings and look over at Daryl to see that he was coming to the same conclusion as I was.

---

We rolled to a stop outside the dilapidated walls and quickly jumped out of the truck to catch up with the others who had left the RV and headed straight down the path.

"Glenn!" I called quietly as I jogged over, "We really doing this? I mean, we ended on okay terms, but they were struggling badly when we saw them last."

He looked at me but was interrupted by Andrea on the other side of the group asking the same question.

"With the guns we gave 'em, they'll probably throw us a party." Daryl declared, marching forward with his crossbow raised to defend if needed. He turned to Rick as he spoke next, "Good call, for once."