Chapter Five

Apologies

I walk to the front of the building and into the store to see Andrea and Rick walking towards the front section. There were walkers practically climbing over each other in an effort to get to the glass doors at the entrance, the only things standing between them and their next meal.

As I reach them, Andrea strikes up a conversation - well, more of an apology.

"Sorry for the gun in your face." She blurts out. It was an awkward sentence in general, but the way she said it seemed forced.

Rick turned to look at her, me behind her giving the 'I dunno man' shrug. 

"People do things when they're afraid." he brushed off the apology as if it was an everyday occurrence, which it probably was, given he was a Sheriff.

I swear, only Americans can get a gun to the face one minute, and be cool the next. If this was England, one of them - if not both - would have a shank in the side and their wallet and keys would be gone. Americans are just laid back with guns I guess.

I mean, up until the start of all this, I'd only used a pistol twice in my life, both in England, and at the dumb American Style Shooting Range, where the slogan was 'Nice Shootin, Tex'.

Corny as fuck, I know.

Andrea shrugged as she walked past Rick. "Not that it was entirely unjustified. You did get us into this."

'No, it was unjustified you twat.' I groan subconsciously, 'Either way, you would've been stuck here since you have no transport, the rest of your group wont answer their walkies, and there was a jam-packed street full of walkers directly left of your street.'

But I just said that in my head, so nobody heard it but me.

Rick seemed to see my inner turmoil and his lip twitched upward for a moment.

"If I get us out, would that make up for it?" he half-joked.

"No," Andrea barely gave it a thought, "but it'd be a start."

"A pretty good start, you gotta admit." I smiled, patting Ricks back as we look towards the glass doors and the horrors beyond.

Rick turned to Andrea, gesturing to her gun.

"Next time though, take the safety off." Andrea seemed startled by the comment by how her shoulders stiffened and she didn't blink. "It won't shoot otherwise."

"Oh."

I chuckled at her reaction, hoping it wouldn't be taken offensively.

"That's kinda the reason I didn't step in before."

 Rick shook his head with a smile, readjusting the pistol in the back of his waistband. "Is that your gun?"

Andrea held said gun, looking at it like it was precious. Damn, Sméagol, calm down will ya?

"It was a gift. Why?"

Rick held out his hand, crossing the store floor to Andrea and taking the gun, He clicked off the safety, showing where and how to do so.