Chapter 7 . 5

New Faces

We had been driving for a while, the group talking amongst themselves quietly about how they'd narrowly escaped death.

Rick and I had switched seats since I had minimal experience driving an American vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't hard to drive on the opposite side of the van - especially since there was nobody to tell me I was on the wrong side of the road and no cars on the road to collide into unless you count abandoned minivans - but I couldn't be arsed having to focus on the incessant noise of the alarm coming from the red car not 30ft in front of us.

Okay, I'll be honest.

This was my first time driving on a road. The only time I'd driven before was in my aunt's old Kia, and that was on her farm so legally I was allowed to.

But apparently my driving wasn't too shabby since nobody commented on it.

Back to the matter at hand.

We had driven to a quarry in the woods, and as we pulled up I saw some men arguing with Glenn about the alarm.

The group at the back piled out of the van and ran to their families, and I had to turn away at the loving sight.

I climbed out of the passenger side and walked round to the rest of the now larger group while Rick hesitated in the driver's seat. No doubt for the same reason as I.

He eventually climbed out of the van and Morales said something to him and I, but it went over my head when I caught sight of a middle-aged woman with short grey hair by her tent.

I don't know why, but the image of her standing there smiling at the families reminded me of my own mother.

My mother was smaller though, standing small at only 5ft, with longer hair that still had blonde streaks in it, but the nice smile and kind eyes was just like her.

I was snapped out of my trance by Rick shooting past me and falling to his knees as a small boy threw himself at Rick, while a woman sobbed before following suit.

There was a man, tall and burly, watching the emotional reunion from a little ways off. The expression that dawned on his face was less than welcoming, but he smiled and nodded at Rick before his face fell again.

I don't like the look of him.

Surrounded by families and friends welcoming each other back, I felt all the more alone.

Where was Jess?

There were no clear signs of struggle at the apartment and all her stuff had just up and gone.

So where the fuck did she go, the ungrateful bitch. I leave for two bloody hours to find food for us and she just fucking leaves.

'Known her 16 fucking years and this is the result.' I sigh heavily as the people around me smile and laugh, sending the occasional glance towards me out of curiosity. 'Leaves me alone at the end of the damn world, and now I have to meet new people without her.'

Twat.

I continued watching them from afar until Glenn strode over to me, two other men trailing quickly behind him.

"Meg, this is Dale-" he pointed to a short pudgy man who smiled and shook my hand. He was clearly getting on in years but he seemed to know a thing or two.

"Nice to meet you, Ma'am, I heard how you helped Rick outta that sticky situation and brought everyone back to us." He smiled, clearly skipping over the Merle situation. "Thank you for that."

"It's nice to meet you too." I nod my head and both men's eyebrows shoot up at my voice.

"It's the accent, isn't it," I chuckle, and the man I'd yet to be introduced to scratched his neck and looked away. "-and it wasn't just me. Glenn helped with Rick, and both of them helped with the getaway... and not everyone made it out."

Glenn shook his head at the statement.

"You can't blame yourself for that. It was nobody's fault that Merle got himself handcuffed to the pipe." He glanced at the men, who looked away. "If he'd kept his mouth shut and not almost killed T-dog then he would be here right now."

"Merle was left for dead on that roof. The entire shop was overrun, and if the chain on the door held, then he's going to die of dehydration soon enough. If he's alive, then he'll be tripping the fuck out right now, hallucinating." I sigh at Glenn's guilty yet relieved face. "I want to go back. Even if he's dead, I want to at least check how he died."

The men seemed to feel bad after I said that.

"Yeah... well, this is Jim."

He nodded his head, and I did back.

And that was that I guess, because they all retreated back to the RV parked in front of the now silent sports car.

A/N

I'm writing this on my break at work and I have no internet access so I can't get script reference for the diologue 😔

Short part, cause it's written on my 15 min break. So this will be 7.5 instead of 8 yeah...