Chapter 18

[TRIGGER WARNING!!! The Culprit: Shane, well, being his dodgy self. Blood & Gore probably; The Walking Dead is it's own Warning ⚠️]

---

The Sixteenth Grave, And The Opened Door Shutter

---

Back in the RV, Jim's fever spiked, and the infection spread. Nobody was sure how long he had left to live, and Rick's plan to find a cure was slowly becoming more and more of a false hope.

After everything?

Fifteen graves had been dug, but Sixteen lives had been lost.

---

After the funeral, the group collectively made their way down to the campsite. Spirits were low, not that I'd expect much different, and people were paying their condolences before going straight back to their own abodes - tents and cars - for the night to hopefully sleep off last night's horror.

Though I doubted anyone would get much sleep tonight.

I stood by the RV as Jacqui went inside to check on Jim. Glenn made his way over and leaned against the RV with me in silence. It was a comforting gesture after I almost embarrassed myself in front of the group while saying a stupid prayer.

"You okay?" He murmured, knocking against me slightly with his arm. "You know you can talk to me."

I knocked him back with a small smile and a nod, not trusting my voice to stay steady under the circumstances.

"Okay then." He nodded his head back - it felt like we were mirroring each other at this point, the leaning, the knocking, the nodding - and looked back out to the group. "Offers on the table. Always will be."

"Thanks." I breathe, watching Dale, Rick, and Insane - I mean Shane - walk down the road and into the clearing.

Shane cleared his throat and everyone's heads turned to the silent command.

"I've been, uh... I've been thinking about Rick's plan." He starts, placing his hands on his hips in an attempt to copy Rick's Power Stance, but it looked unnatural on him. "Now look, there are no... There are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that."

"Are there any guarantees anymore?" I whisper to Glenn, who just shook his head beside me as Shane continued.

"I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together." He pauses for a second to look around the people who are left. There weren't many. "So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning."

---

That night was quiet.

While before, that was a blessing, tonight it felt like a curse.

Everyone had gone straight to their tents after dinner, and no sound was heard throughout the night. I had volunteered for the lookout shift after Shane and retired to the 'Gleg' tent, as Glenn so eloquently called it.