Chapter 10

Awkward And Creepy Encounter In The Night

"You know those thing's'll kill you, right?"

I whipped my head around as a torch was pointed into my eyes, blinding me momentairily. When it was moved, I made out the face of Shane, sat on the RV with a smug grin.

"Yeah, but what won't nowadays?" I retort, quiet enough not to wake anyone but loud enouogh that he'd catch it.

"That is true, Ma'am." He chuckled, climbing down the rungs at the back of the RV. "What my question is, though, is why is a pretty thing like you smoking dirty cigarettes?"

Ew. Thats just plain creepy.

Shane was not a man I wanted flirting with me, in the middle of the night no less. Don't get me wrong, he was easy on the eyes, but he creeped me out to high hell.

"One," I scoffed, lighting my roll up as he made himself comfortable in the seat next to mine, going as far as to turn it towards me, which I didn't copy. "- don't call me Ma'am, it's weird." I took a drag before continuing, not even looking in his direction. "And two, I'm not some 'pretty thing'. I'm a grown woman who smokes, just like any other."

He didn't even blink before replying.

"Well, I'm sorry for calling you Ma'am, it's just common curtesy here. I don't know what people say in England, but here it's natural." He chuckled again, leaning further forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "And you are pretty, dare I say gorgeous. And smoking that there cigarette just makes you all the more so."

I think I made a face, because he shook his head and apologised, but it wasn't a genuine apology. It was more of an 'I know you're uncomfortable but I'm not ending this conversation', and it creeped me out all the more.

"Aren't you supposed to be keeping watch?" I say before inhaling more nicotine. I just wanted him to leave me alone, god damnit.

"I am, I'm watching you, ain't I?"

Nope. No thank you.

"I don't think the people would be happy to know you left your post in the middle of the night." I shrug, the hint of a threat hanging between us.

"Awh, you wouldn't tell now, would you?" He smiled, placing his hand dangerously high on my thigh.

I don't say anything, only turning to him slowly as I take a large drag of the cig and looking him straight in the eye with the most unimpressed look I think I'll ever give.

But he didn't seem to get the hint. He moved his hand further up, slowly dragging his thumb over the crease in the denim.

"Would you?" He repeats, squeezing the soft inside of my thigh, making me cringe inwardly.

"I think you've got me wrong, sir." I say, exhaling into his face.

He blinked a few times, his grin widening.

But then it fell as I picked up my jacket and standing up, pushing his hand from where it was practically resting on my crotch.