Chapter 11

The Other Dixon

Immediately, everyone drops their stances as the man spots the deer, a frown prominent on his brow, his mouth turned towards the floor.

"Oh, Jesus." Dale exhales.

The man circles the deer, pointing to it with an arrow.

"Son of a bitch, that's my deer!" He drawls angrily, "Look at it... all gnawed on by this... filthy, desease-bearing, motherless poxy bastard!" He kicks the walker carcass with every insult, drawing a stomach-churning squelch.

This must be the other Dixon, going by the similar southern drawl and obvious anger issues.

Dale holds a hand up to him. "Calm down, son." He sighs, "That's not helping."

Dixon #2 spins to Dale, waving his arms out in frustration.

"What do you know about it, old man?!" He growls, "Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to 'On Gold Pond'?!" Daryl turns, roughly pulling the arrows from the deer carcass. "I've been tracking this deer for miles. Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison."

I gotta admit, half of the shit he was spewing went straight over my head.

I have no idea what the hell venison is, but I'm guessing its deer. And what the hell is 'On Gold Pond'?

Damn Americans and their weird shit. I can't believe I'm stuck here for the forseeable future.

Sweet gesture, though, that he was thinking of the group.

He points to a section of the deer that had been untouched by the walker. "What do you think? D'you think we can cut around this chewed up part right here?"

Shane - ever the smart guy - shakes his head and leans his shotgun over his shoulders.

"I would not risk that."

Daryl sighs, reajusting the string on his shoulder.

"That's a damn shame. I got some squirrel..." He shrugs his shoulders, showing said animal. "About a dozen or so. That'll have to do."

Suddenly, the Walker head on the ground starts snapping its teeth into thin air, making everyone around me jump back in horror.

"Huh, so severing the spinal chord doesn't kill them." I noted. "Only the brain."

I hear Amy groan in disgust and take off behind be as I pull the knife from its home on my thigh and go to finish the job.

"Come on people." Daryl steps forward at the same time as me, "What the hell?" He peirces the brain straight throught the eye, halting the Walkers movements effective immediately. He takes the arrow back with a boot to the head. "It's gotta be the brain."

Daryl watches as I step back and re-sheath my knife silently.

"Don't y'all know nothin'?"

He stares at me a second longer with a furrowed brow before storming past us and towards camp.

'Ah, shit. Here we go...' I thought, catching the looks of the rest of the group towards Rick and I. 'Can already tell this is going up shits creek. And we're about to see if we have a paddle.'