Chapter 12

"Good morning." I look at him happily preparing foods on the table, "What time is it?" I asked.

"Time? I only rely on the sun." I look up, "How?" I asked.

"The sun rises from the east and sets to the west."

"Just like on Earth. So you wake up just before the sun rises?" I asked while sitting down on the bench.

"Kind of? I wake up when I want to wake up." He smiled and look at my watch, "No news from that watch?" I look at the watch and sighed, "It's okay you can freely live here while we figure out how you can go back to your world." He smiled again. I nodded. I look at the meals he prepared.

"What's your food on Earth?" He asked while we start munching the foods I don't know but tastes great, "We have many foods there, different specialties from different locations."

"Just like here." He said and drank water. He cleared his throat and starts whistling.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling the birds." He said. I look up at the sky and saw no birds, "What birds? There are no birds around--"

"There they are." He stood up and walk towards the lake. I followed my eyes on him and I saw a group of swans moving towards the whistle, towards him. I walk towards them and bent down, "How in the world did you do that?"

"We're friends." He replied and laughed. He starts feeding them with grains and vegetables.

"They're so beautiful." I said. I've never seen a swan in real life before. I only see them in textbooks.

"Do you want to try?" He handed me bowl of grains. I gently receive it, "Just throw them into the water." I did what he said and starts throwing grains on the water. I smiled as the swans starts following the grains. 

"It's my first time to see you smile." I look up and saw him looking down at me. I look away and stopped smiling. I heard him chuckled.

After our breakfast, we went back to the underground basement to see the machine again. We examined both the interior and its exterior to see if there are any damages. We saw several cracks on the exterior and broken ports and cables in the interior.

"Do you think we can fix this?" I asked. I don't know if I could go back to Earth with this broken machine.

"Everything is possible. We have resources around here. And I know how to fix the cracks." I nodded. I'm glad that he's here, optimistic for my return. I think I'm the only one negative here.

He went back to his house and gave me several pieces of papers. He starts making sketches while I start making calculations. I tried to remember the details I saw in the lab, even the calculations of my health and the mass of the planet around me. I don't know how I came up with these formula, maybe because I am born to do this kind of job someday.

We went out of the basement after 4 hours and gave ourselves a break. He handed me a coconut juice he got. I didn't believe him at first when he said he will climb up the coconut tree but suddenly he removed his sandals and jumped.

"You're crazy." I said.

"That was easy for me." He said and wiped his sweat. He sat down on the bench across me and took a long deep breath. 

"Sorry for this." I said, feeling guilty of giving him too much work. He look at me and smiled, how he can easily smile like that?

"It's okay. To be honest, I'm glad you're here." I look away. That was cheesy.

"If you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?" 

"I'm an orphan. My parents who adopted me died long ago."

"I'm sorry." I said. We remained silent after, only the birds' chirp, his dog's bark, and the water's streaming along the lake can be heard. I feel very satisfied of the way things are quiet and stress free around here.

"Wait here, I'm just going to prepare our food for lunch."

"Let me help." He stopped dead in his tracks and look back to me, "I don't want to wait alone, so let me help you."