Back on Track

For reference, it is now January 12, 2021, as I write this.

I shut the communication device (the compact look-alike) frustrated and shoved it back into my pocket. JJ has trust issues, but apparently, he no longer trusts me at all. And it's all because I couldn't keep my cool when it came to killing Zane. I have no idea why he's making such a big deal about it now anyway. And if he is so worried about me being protected, then why did he volunteer to stay back in Phoenix Drop?

I pulled out my sword again and swung it at a nearby tree. Then I swung it again... and again... and again. When I finally stopped and took a few steps back, the tree had several large gashes that almost made it look like someone failed at chopping the tree down. I pushed my hand through my hair letting the sword drop to the ground and disappear. I turned to face the now setting sun and admired the way it made the clouds look so full of life.

"There you are." I tensed at the sound of someone else's voice. But when it registered in my brain that it was Aaron's, I turned to face him and relaxed slightly.

"Yes well, I told you it wouldn't be easy trying to find me." I mocked.

Aaron rolled his shoulders. "It would've been easier if I didn't have to convince Garroth and Laurence to stay behind. Besides, just as I had finished, Aphmau arrived and told us that you don't wish to be called your real name in front of Travis."

I smiled cheekily. "Yeah pin all the blame on them." I turned back towards the sun.

I heard him scoff before chuckling. "You sure blew off some steam..." I turned to see him running his hand over the gashes in the tree. "Why are you so upset?"

"Upset would not be the proper emotion." I ran my hand through my hair again. "It's more like anger or pure rage."

"Oh? So then why are you so angry?" He crossed his arms and leaned against the tree.

I rolled my eyes. "What's with all the questions?"

He sighed. "Am I not allowed to care about you?" There was a beat of silence before he continued. "What's with the sudden change in your attitude too?"

"Sudden change in attitude? Don't you mean the sudden change in the way I am treating you?" I ask with an accidental hostile tone. I lean against the tree across from him as he takes in what I said.

"Wow." He scoffed. "What's with the hostility? You've become so mean, Y/N."

I pushed off the tree and walked back towards the forest before shrugging. "Just being myself."

Aaron caught up with me in due time. "This is not you 'just being you'. This is something much deeper. Because you usually aren't hostile without a reason. So what did I do to make you this mad at me?"

I froze and he stopped a few feet ahead of me. He's right... I'm not usually this hostile without reason. More mood swings..? "I'm sorry." I said suddenly before continuing to walk back.

He kept up. "For what? Wait! Why are you apologizing?" He shook his head out of disbelief.

"Yeah, yeah. Make fun of me for apologizing." I waved my left hand as I spoke, giving him permission to make fun of me for being weak. "I'm just-"

Aaron grabbed my left wrist suddenly making the both of us come to a halt. "I'm not going to make fun of you. I just want to know why you feel the need to apologize." There was a tone in his voice that I was unfamiliar with. A passing feeling gave the impression that I heard it before somewhere; I don't know where though.

"I apologized for being so bitchy lately." My left arm slowly dropped to my side and Aaron let go.

There was no more conversation between the two of us as we walked back to the Warrior Tribe.