Zane's Arrival

It now was the day of Zane's arrival. Since the Sun first touched the sky, I had been sitting at the gates. I didn't want anyone else to open the gates when Zane arrived and I didn't want him to try anything. My wound healed back to full health. And my shadow saber was drawn. It looked like an ordinary blade but was extremely powerful. The sword itself acted like a normal sword unless you kill someone with it. When you kill someone with the sword, they turn into a shadow soul. No question about it. That's it. But when I kill someone with it, they become a shadow soul that listens to me, because I know how to control shadows.

I waited until about noon when he finally decided to show up. Surprisingly, he didn't have an entire army with him. It was just him, Lillian, and a few guards. I stood on top of the gates and looked down at him. After I waved my hand off to the side of me, silently casting a spell, a humanoid shadow creature appeared next to me. I whispered in a dialect that only I and shadow creatures understand. It's called The Tounge of the Moon. "TB NAQ TRG ZL YNQL NAQ URE THNEQF. GURL JVYY JNAG GB FRR GUVF." (To be nice it says "Go and get my lady and her guards. They will want to see this.")

The shadow zipped off and soon returned to my side speaking in our language. It told me that it had done what I had asked and that it also told them it was a messenger for me. I asked it how and it replied that it spoke it a language they could understand but needs to return to the shadow plane to recharge. I let it and they appeared behind the gate rather soon after that. I jumped off inside the walls just as Zane and his crew reached the gate. I threw my sword into the air and it disappeared. I nodded to Dante and he went to open the gates. I walked out very confident nothing would happen.

"Ah. Lady Shade. It is finally a pleasure to meet you." He took my hand and shook it.

"The pleasure is all mine. Now I understand you wanted to talk with me and I had stated that it would be in Phoenix Drop under my conditions." I held my head high. The spell that I cast to cover my face in shadows was still holding up. But just in case I re-did it this morning.

"A woman who gets straight down to business. Of course, lead the way."

I motioned behind my back for the others to leave. "Not quite yet. You see... I need you to get the archers out of the tree and you have to promise that we will each only have two different people at our sides during the meeting."

"You are quite smart and observant. Hm. Alright. However, I get to choose the people by my side." Zane slightly squinted at me.

"Well, but of course! I get to choose my people, it would only be fair if you got to do the same." I kept the same level "almost emotionless but not quite" tone of voice the entire time.

Zane and his men followed me into the village. We stopped at Lady Aphmau's house and went to her basement. However, Zane was only allowed to bring down his two people. He chose Lillian and a masked and hooded person. The others had to stay outside. I chose Lady Aphmau and Vylad. I met up with him outside the forest and snuck him in with shadow magic. He has only met up with Lady Aphmau and has kept a low profile, for he doesn't wish for Garroth to know he's here. We sat at the table she had by the window and started our chat.

"But what a civilized way to do this. I thought things might get rough." Zane smirked at me. Stupid man. Now I know whose under the hood.