Faces

I stood up and slammed the book shut making everyone jump. I put it back in my pocket and sat back down on the bed, leaning against the wall. "Can I let her out?" Her voice filled the silence.

"I don't think th-" Laurence was cut off by Garroth.

"As you wish m'lord." He turned to me and unlocked/opened the door. Silently I got up and walked out the cell door to the table that held my sword. I grabbed it and put it back in its sword holder.

I looked back, "M'lady, would you like to show me around your new village?" She looked towards me and nodded. I scanned the room, curious faces.

"Hold up before you do that, what do you mean new village?" Laurence took a step forward.

I pulled my cloak off, my face still covered by shadows. "You mean you haven't found the old one yet. Urgh, this makes my job harder. I guess we need to find Enki's island. And talk to an old friend." I put my cloak in my bag. It just barely fit. "Remember you guys only have half the story."

They paused. Aaron continued to stay silent. And keep his face covered. Aphmau began to lead me out of the building. She grabbed my hand and lead me to a newer more intact looking gate. "This is where the majority of the village lives." She said. "I..."

"You what?" I asked.

"I just wish I could see what you look like. Then maybe that will stir up some of my memories of you." She looked towards me.

"There is a time and place for everything Aphmau. And now is not the time for that." I said. "But don't worry. There is only one thing that needs to happen before I do show you my face."

"What is it?!" She asked excitedly.

"Laurence needs to trust me m'lord." She looked a little disappointed.

"That's gonna take showing your face to happen." She whispered.

"APHMAU! ARE YOU OK?" A guard with strawberry blond hair and a pink bow came up to us. Pulling Aphmau away and pointing her sword at me. "What are you doing here Shade?"

"Calm down Alexis! She's a long lost friend." Aphmau pushed in front of Alexis, making her put her sword down.

Confused face. "You have a long lost friend that is a highly wanted assassin?!"

"No. She was friends with Irene. Which is why we need to get through. So no one tries to kill her like you just did." She mumbled the last sentence. It was barely audible but I have learned ways of hearing things like that.

"Alright... continue on your way..." Alexis looked at me cautiously as I passed her following Aphmau into the village. She showed me everything, and I met everyone. The three most common emotions to see on everyone's faces was anger, confusion, and embarrassment. Anger from me being there. Confusion to what Aphmau told them. And embarrassment for trying to kill me.

Soon it had become dark. "Why don't you stay with me?" Aphmau offered. "I have plenty of room in my house and I would like you to stay with me since I don't have a house prepared."

"I'm fine with sleeping outside m'lord," I said taking a step back. "Besides, I think Laurence would like it more if I didn't stay in your house."

"Hmm... I don't want you to but I have a feeling you're going to anyway." She smiled slightly. "Good night, Shade."

"Good night, m'lord." I bowed slightly before jumping into the purple tree in front of her house.