Chapter 4

"Have you been to Mr Delmar's before?" Peter asked me.

I shook my head and he gasped. What a dork.

"It's the best sandwich place in Queens!" Peter exclaimed.

The train slowed to a stop and we got off.

"Are you free right now?" Peter asked.

I hesitated. I had to train with Cassandra tonight. At first, it was difficult to do, because the thumping in the apartment got very annoying to the downstairs neighbours. Luckily for us, Hydra rented out the basement for us to train. I had been excited to train again, but if whatever Peter wanted to do would get me closer to him and closer to finishing the mission, I would do it.

"Yeah, I am," I said. "Why? What do you have in mind?"

"Mr Delmar's," Peter said.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me down the street. His hand was soft and warm in mine. He practically dragged me the three blocks to the sandwich shop. When we entered, Peter walked up to the counter.

"What do you want?" Peter asked me.

I shrugged. I had never ordered a sandwich before.

"I'll have whatever you have," I said.

"Hey Mr Delmar," Peter greeted the man working at the counter.

"Hey, Parker. Number five, right?" Mr Delmar asked.

"Yeah, can I get two please? With extra pickles and can you smoosh them down real flat? Thanks," Peter said.

I glanced around the shop. It was kind of small and there was a cat on the bench. I looked back to the counter.

Mr Delmar said something in another language, which made Peter blush and drop my hand, which I had forgotten he was holding. Peter replied back in this language, still red.

"Do you speak Spanish?" Mr Delmar asked me.

"No," I said, shaking my head. "Although I do speak Russian."

Mr Delmar smiled at me.

"It's a shame I don't know Russian," Mr Delmar said. "We could have conspired against Peter."

Peter pouted and crossed his arms. I forced out a laugh. If only Mr Delmar knew. Mr Delmar handed us our sandwiches and Peter held out a ten-dollar bill.

"You don't have to pay for me," I said.

"It's my treat," Peter said.

Mr Delmar said something else in Spanish which made Peter blush again.

"Okay, bye Mr Delmar!" Peter said, dragging me out of the store.

We found a nice park to sit at and eat our sandwiches. I glanced warily at mine before I took a bite. I groaned happily.

"Good, right?" Peter asked, happily munching away on his sandwich.

I nodded and took another bite. Never in my life had I tasted something so delicious. In Hydra, we had the same boring old meals. There was never the need or the time to go to a sandwich store.

"This is amazing," I said.

We finished our sandwiches quickly and began to talk.

"I didn't know you spoke Russian," Peter said.

"My family is from Russia, so I grew up learning Russian as well as English," I said.

It was a half-truth. I had grown up learning both languages, but I didn't have any Russian relatives.

"Did you move here from Russia?" Peter asked.

I nodded.

"Can you say something in Russian?" Peter asked.

I did as he requested. He smiled brightly while I spoke.

"What did you say?" he asked.

"I said you're a dork," I laughed.

"Hey!" Peter whined.

I just shrugged and continued laughing. Peter said something in Spanish to me.

"Now in English," I demanded.

"You're mean," he translated.

I threw my sandwich wrapper at him. It hit him in the head, and I furrowed my eyebrows. Wasn't he supposed to have super senses or something? Maybe he was dialling them down.

"Is something wrong?" Peter asked.

I realised that I had been frowning.

"No," I lied. "I was just thinking."

Peter didn't look convinced, but he didn't say anything else. We eventually parted ways. I hurried back to my apartment. I dumped my bag and changed into a tank top and a pair of athletic shorts before heading to the basement. When I opened the door, my sister was nowhere to be seen.

"Cassandra?" I called into the empty room.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a shadow move. It lunged for me and I dodged it. I kicked it down to the floor, but it got back to it's feet straight away. The figure was directly under a light, and I recognised it as Cassandra. She smiled at me.

"It's good to know you can detect a hidden threat without your powers," she said.

I rolled my shoulders and stood in a fighting stance. Cassandra came at me and began to attack. I blocked her blows and the went on the offensive, kicking and punching.

When I was given my powers, Cassandra was overlooked. She had been given super soldier serum, but something had backfired. She only possessed half of the strength and speed that a proper super soldier should have. Nevertheless, Cassandra had continued to push her body until she became the perfect fighter.

Cassandra tackled me to the floor and pinned my arms and legs to the ground. We continued to spar for a while until Cassandra made us stop. We wiped our sweaty bodies with towels and took deep gulps of water.

Once we had gone back up to our apartment and had showers, Cassandra sat me down at the table and gave me a tablet and a USB.

"This is what the technology at the Avengers tower is like," Cassandra said. "You need to figure out how to get into the encrypted files and how to put them onto this USB."

I placed my hand on the tablet and let the electricity flow. I easily got past the password and continued through the mainframe. From there, I found the files and deteriorated the encryptions. I then placed the files onto the USB and unplugged it. All of this happened in about a minute.

"Impressive," Cassandra praised, nodding her head.

I smiled at her praise. Cassandra smiled back at me.

"Now, how about we get some pizza for dinner," Cassandra proposed.

I agreed, hungry from all the training. While the pizza was being delivered, I turned on the tv. Spiderman was on the tv, slinging webs and saving people. It was a report on how he'd saved thirteen people from a fire.

Spiderman was brave and confident. Thinking about Peter, the boy who was nervous, shy and nerdy, it was easy to see why no one had figured out his identity yet.