Chapter 14

I sat at my dining table. Commanders Ders and Ivanov sat opposite me, while my sister sat beside me.

"It has been six months since you have been given this mission," Commander Ders said. "How is it coming along?"

Cassandra nodded at me, allowing me to take the lead.

"It is going well," I said. "I have infiltrated Peter Parker's group. He has revealed to me that he is Spiderman. It is only a matter of time before he asks me to go to the Avengers tower."

The commanders nodded approvingly.

"This is good," Commander Ders said. "Now we-"

He was cut off by a knock on the door. All four of our heads shot towards the sound.

"I'll look," I said.

Electricity crackled at my fingertips. I walked to the door and looked out the peephole. I saw Peter standing there patiently. I swore softly and let the electricity in my body die down. I opened the door and stepped outside.

"Peter!" I said loudly, hugging him. "I didn't know you were coming!"

I hoped that my voice alerted the Commanders as to who was here.

"Yeah, sorry for dropping by unexpectedly," Peter said. "Can I come in?"

I bit my lip.

"No," I said. "Uh... my family from Russia is here."

I almost winced at my lie.

"Oh," Peter said quietly.

"Something serious is happening over there," I said. "I don't really want to talk about it."

Peter's face softened. He pulled me into a hug.

"You don't have to tell me anything. I'm here if you do want to talk, but if you don't, I'm here to comfort you," he said.

Tears filled my eyes. No one had ever said something like that to me before. Not even Cassandra.

"Thank you," I choked out.

I hugged him tighter. He released me.

"I'll let you get back to it," he said. "I'm here if you need."

I gave him a kiss goodbye and entered my apartment. The commanders glanced at me warily.

"He's gone," I said.

I took my place at the table once again.

"Does he usually do that?" Commander Ivanov asked.

"Yes," I said. "We always have the plans and weapons packed away just in case."

Commander Ivanov nodded. They began talking again, about the mission and my side mission. They were proud that I had fought Spiderman and even gotten myself a villain name. Cassandra spoke for the both of us. It was okay with me because I was busy thinking about Peter.

He was so pure and kind. I hated that I was lying to him on a daily basis. I really, really liked him. I... I loved him. Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no! This was so dangerous. For me, and for him. I wasn't supposed to fall in love. When I steal Tony Stark's information, I'll have to leave him behind. Maybe I'd be able to do it. I'd have to.

The thought ruined my mood for the rest of the day. Maybe, somehow, I could convince them to let me stay. The thought seemed impossible.

It kept me up all night. It was two in the morning when I texted Peter.

Are you awake?

Yeah, what's wrong?

You know how you said you would be there to comfort me?

I need that right now.

Okay, I'm heading to yours now.

I didn't know why I texted Peter. He was the one I was supposed to avoid, and yet, he was the one who could comfort me the most.

A few minutes later, there was a tap at my window. I looked out to see Spiderman on the side of my building. I opened my window and let him in.

"My sister can't know you're here," I whispered quietly.

"Then come with me," Peter said.

He grabbed onto my waist and pulled me out the window. He swung us to the top of a building. I sat down on the floor. Peter sat next to me and put an arm around my shoulders.

"I'm here if you need to talk, but if you don't want to, I'm here to sit with you," he said.

I almost told him everything then. I don't know why, but the urge to tell him hit me so hard. But I didn't. My loyalty to Hydra ran too deep.

"Thank you," I said instead, leaning my cheek against his shoulder.

The fabric of the Spiderman suit was soft against my skin. After a few minutes of sitting in silence, I decided to speak.

"Why did you come by today?" I asked.

Peter stilled.

"I... uh..." Peter cleared his throat. "I was going to invite you over to the tower to meet the Avengers."

I froze. This is what I wanted, right? This was apart of the mission. Then why did I feel guilty about accepting the offer?

"I'd love to," I said. "These are your friends, right?"

Peter nodded.

"Then I want to meet them," I decided.

"I'm sure they'll love you as much as I do," Peter said.

We both froze. I looked to Peter to see a mortified look on his face. If the moment wasn't so serious, I would have laughed.

"What did you just say?" I breathed.

"I – um... I kind of said that I love you," he whispered.

He loved me. He loved me. And I realised... I loved him too.

"I love you, too," I said.

Peter visibly relaxed.

"Really?" he asked.

"That is what I just said, right?" I joked.

Peter rolled his eyes and kissed me. I kissed him back, grabbing his face in my hands. Somehow, I found my way to his lap, and his hands were on my hips. We only broke away for air.

"I love you," I whispered.

It felt so good to be able to tell him that.

"I love you, too," he said.