Chapter 9

When I arrived back in New York, I was immediately driven home. When we got into our apartment, I changed into my suit. It was completely black with blue seams to represent my electricity.

"Okay, you just need the files, and then you need to blow the building up," Cassandra said.

I shakily took the USB and bag full of explosives she handed to me.

"There isn't anyone in the building, is there?" I asked.

Cassandra's face softened.

"No, everyone should have left by the time you get there," she said.

I nodded and looked out the window. The night was lit up by the lights of New York City.

"I'll be back," I said.

I pulled my mask down and jumped out of the window. I jumped from building to building, using fire escapes to help me get to my destination. After about an hour I finally reached the building. I got inside with no troubles, disabling the cameras and alarms with my powers.

I rushed down the halls and to a computer room. I plugged in the USB and used my powers to find the files and transfer them. I pulled the USB out and was about to leave when a voice stopped me.

"What's on the USB?"

I turned around to see Spiderman standing in front of an open window with his arms crossed.

"Just things that I need," I said shrugging.

Before I could react, Spiderman shot a web onto the USB and pulled. It flew in the air for a few seconds before it landed in his hand.

"That's mine," I growled, and lunged at him.

He dodged my first attack, but I swept his legs out from underneath him. I placed my foot on his chest.

"Give it to me, or I'll make you," I said, holding out my hand.

Spiderman shot a web at me and I dodged it.

"Fine then," I muttered.

I electrocuted him enough to paralyse him. I grabbed the USB out of his stiff hands and stuffed it into my pocket.

"Don't worry, it'll wear off soon," I said, and walked out of the computer room.

I stalked down the halls to ready the explosives. I set them up and looked at the timer counting down from fifteen minutes. I walked back to the computer room to see Spiderman had regained his movement and had left. Hopefully, he had gotten far away from here.

"Attack from above!"

I was too slow to defend myself. Spiderman landed on me and sent us both crashing to the floor. He grabbed my wrists and held them above my head, using his knees to trap my legs. Lucky for me, I could still zap him. I did just that and he fell to the side, unconscious.

I shook my head.

"You really need to learn from your mistakes, Spidey," I said.

My suit buzzed, and I realised that there were only seven minutes for me to get out of the building. I looked at Spiderman. I couldn't leave him here to die. I couldn't leave Peter here to die. I hooked his arm around my shoulder and shocked him awake.

"C'mon, Spidey, time to get out," I said, practically dragging him to the window.

He was still groggy. I somehow got him out of the window and onto the fire escape. I grabbed his wrist and looked at his web shooters, trying to figure out if I could web us away.

Peter finally seemed to come to his senses because he punched me in the face.

"Ow!" I yelled. "You moron! I'm trying to help you!"

Spiderman looked at me and the eyes on his suit narrowed.

"The building is going to blow up in two minutes!" I yelled, panicking now. "You need to get out of here!"

The eye's on Peter's suit widened.

"We need to evacuate the b-"

"Everyone's already out!" I yelled. "You just need to go now!"

"What about you?" he asked. "Can you fly or something?"

I looked over the edge. We were on the twentieth floor. The fire escape only went so far, but I supposed I could scale my way down.

"No, but I'll be fine," I answered.

A second later, Spiderman's arm was wrapped around my waist and I was flying through the air. I clung to his neck. Spiderman swung us away from the building. I heard the explosion from a distance. Spidey was fast. None of the shrapnel or bits of concrete hit us. I dared to look behind us to see that the building was far behind us.

Spiderman landed on top of a building and let go of me. I took a few steps away from him.

"How did you know the building was going to explode?" Spiderman asked.

I looked to him, slightly guilty.

"Because I set up the explosives," I said.

The eyes on his suit narrowed.

"I'm going to have to take you in," Spiderman said.

"Listen, Spidey, I was only doing my job. Besides, you couldn't take me," I said.

Spiderman shot a web at me, but I created a wall of electricity to block me from it and disintegrate it.

"Please don't make me zap you again," I sighed.

Spiderman stood still for a moment.

"Why did you save me?" he finally asked.

Because I can't lose you. Because I actually have fun when I'm around you. Because you've shown me so many things. Because... because I was slowly, but surely, developing feelings for the cute, nerdy boy who I lied to every second of the day.

"Because I still need you," was all I said.

I could tell this confused him. I sighed again.

"I need to go. If you can catch me again, then you can arrest me," I said.

I jumped off the side of the building and onto the fire escape. I slowly made my way across the city, careful to make sure that Spiderman wasn't still following me. When I finally got home, I gave Cassandra the USB and fell asleep.