Chapter 15

I looked in my mirror. I was wearing a pair of jeans and a nice f/c shirt. I didn't want to be overdressed, but I also didn't want to be underdressed. The shirt was relatively fancy, but not too fancy. I sighed. It would have to do.

When I exited my room, Cassandra nodded at my outfit.

"You look nice," she said.

I smiled and thanked her.

"Okay. While you're there, you are not taking the information. Just... get to know the Avengers. Make them like you. We don't want to lose our position. Or you," Cassandra said.

I nodded and took a deep breath to steel myself. The doorbell rang and I ran to open it. Peter stood there in jeans and a sweatshirt. It made me feel better that I wasn't going in completely underdressed.

Peter gave me a kiss hello. I grabbed my jacket (which was actually Peter's) and Peter's hand and we exited my apartment. Outside was a nice black car with tinted windows. Peter opened the door for me, and I got in. Peter got in the other side.

"Y/n, this is Happy. Happy, this is my girlfriend, y/n," Peter introduced.

"Hi Happy, it's nice to meet you," I said politely.

"I hope you're better than that kid," Happy grumbled.

I looked at Peter confused. He mouthed He doesn't really like me. I quietly giggled. During the ride, I held Peter's hand. Happy looked at us a lot in the rear-view mirror. When we finally arrived at the tower, Happy ushered us out.

"Okay, so you've already kind of met Steve and Mr Stark," Peter said. "Wanda and Bucky are away on missions, but Wanda wanted me to tell you that she's really excited to meet you."

I didn't know how to feel. I felt a tinge of sadness, guilt, and happiness. We entered the building and took the elevator up. When we reached the right floor, we stepped out of the elevator. And right into the Avengers presence.

My chest constricted with anxiety. It became hard to breathe. These were my enemies; they just didn't know it. That also made Peter my enemy too. The thought didn't sit well with me.

"Hi, everyone," Peter said brightly. "This is my girlfriend, y/n."

I gave everyone a little wave. The people in the room consisted of Steve, Tony, the Falcon, Hawkeye, Banner, the Vision, and Thor.

"Hi," I said nervously.

"So, you're the kid's girlfriend," the Falcon said.

I nodded shakily.

"I'm Sam," he said, holding out a hand.

I shook it and he smiled at me. I smiled back, slightly relaxed. I was introduced to everyone else individually. Thor was really loud and nearly crushed me when he gave me a hug. We were all making small talk when Natasha Romanoff entered the room.

My jaw dropped. I was in the presence of the Black Widow. She was definitely my favourite Avenger. She was like me in so many ways.

"So, you're Peter's girlfriend?" she asked me with an eyebrow raised.

"I'm a huge fan!" I blurted before I could stop myself.

Everyone was taken aback.

"I'm sorry, Ms Romanoff," I said. "You're just so cool! You are literally the image of feminism; you show everyone that a girl can do anything a man can do!"

Natasha smiled at me.

"I like you," she said. "You can call me Nat."

I blushed. Clint muttered something about not being appreciated enough. Natasha smacked the back of his head.

"Dinner is ready," Tony said, looking at his phone. "We can get to know y/n more while we eat."

I was led to a dinning room. It was massive, and the table looked like it could fit the whole team, plus more. Which I supposed it could.

"So, y/n," Sam said after we'd started. "Why'd you decide to date the kid?"

Was this a trick question?

"Well, I'd always liked him," I said. "He's really nice, and funny. We both like Star Wars, and... I don't know. I just fell for him, I guess."

I blushed at the end of my speech.

"Well, that's cute," Natasha said.

"How did you two get together? Pete won't tell us," Tony said.

I glanced at Peter. He was blushing a bit.

"Well, uh, he said that he liked me, and I kissed him," I said quietly.

Conversation became easier. I felt more comfortable around the Avengers. They weren't like Hydra, soldiers ready for battle, but instead, they were a family. They joked around and teased each other like siblings.

"So, y/n, what kind of music do you like?" Steve asked.

"Well, I like rock. I like AC/DC and Nirvana and that kind of music," I said.

It wasn't a lie. After listening to them on the radio I fell in love.

"Wait, did you say AC/DC?" Tony asked.

I nodded.

"You need to come by more often," he said. "Do you like science?"

"Yeah. I like it all. Chemistry, biology, robotics, technology, everything," I said.

"I might need to give out another internship," Tony muttered.

This was perfect. If I got an internship, I would be around the tower. If I could get in, and steal the information, I'd be able to finish the mission... and leave Peter. The thought didn't sit well.

After dinner, Peter and I left. The Avengers told me to stay in touch, and Natasha even gave me her phone number, 'just in case'.

"That went well," Peter said once we were in the car with Happy.

"Yeah," I sighed.

Peter grabbed my hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. I squeezed his hand back. We began to have a thumb war, and I won.

When we arrived back at my apartment, Peter gave me a kiss goodbye. I walked up the stairs to my apartment. When I got inside, I told Cassandra everything, although I didn't really want to.

Why was I so reluctant? It was going to happen anyway. I didn't have a choice.